Lab Section Leader (coil coatings)
My Client is a leader in chemical manufacturing, supplying a range of high class product into large branded Clients across the globe, & I am excited to be making introductions into the Laboratory Leadership Team as a Laboratory Section Leader.
What does your new role look like:
You will hold responsibility for the provision of technical support to the Coil Coatings business by coordinating and undertaking product development and service work under the direction of the Technical Manager. You will provide direction and guidance to on site Development Chemists and Laboratory Technicians & represent the business at internal meetings within Company & external meeting with customers and suppliers when required.
You will already hold:
- Experience in a relevant industry as a Technician or Development Chemist
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject (maths or science based)
- Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Chemistry
- NEBOSH / IOSH
What responsibilities will you hold as Laboratory Section Team Leader:
- Direct and supervise Development Chemists and provide training and guidance to Laboratory Technicians.
- Participation internal meetings, including; Group technical meetings & local production-technical meetings.
- Attend meetings with customers and provide technical support at customer's sites. Answer customer enquiries, and meet with raw material suppliers and equipment suppliers.
- Audit procedures and processes and carry out root cause analysis to improve quality levels.
- Participate in external audits.
- To manage and maintain appropriate functions of the laboratory (as assigned), including; UKAS Quality System, Pilot Line (including maintenance) and Colour systems (including local formula)
- You will undertake practical laboratory work, including; Paint formulation, small scale paint manufacture, colour matching, preparation of Technical Data Sheets, raw material evaluations, value engineering/cost reduction, paint application, physical testing of paints, chemical resistance testing of paints, Product Integrity Testing, preparation of external weathering samples, record keeping, including lab books, enquiries, samples & panels.
- You are already competent in the safe operation of equipment, including; general lab equipment & ovens, calibration of laboratory equipment, operation of accelerated weathering cabinets, operation of pilot line (with the appropriate training).
- Responsibility for analytical work, including; Paint solids determination, flashpoint determination, digital imaging, rheology measurement & interpretation, operation of LTD/Analytical Department's equipment.
- To undertake support work, including; Supervision of batches in production, investigation of production problems, finding re-work outlets for redundant paint, assisting pilot line trials and investigating customer complaints.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment through daily housekeeping inspections and adherence to 5S practices.
- Highlight unsafe conditions and shut down any activity if it is operating in an unsafe condition taking reasonable care of oneself and others. Comply with Health and Safety policy and all procedures / rules that apply to your role.
- Adhere to the code of conduct at all times.
What do you need to be successful as Laboratory Section Leader:
- To be fully competent in the use of IT systems and software including; Lotus Notes, Achiever databases, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint IFS, "Safeware"
- Leadership & motivational skills
- Experience working under pressure to strict deadlines whilst adhering to quality requirements.
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- An ability to engage effectively with a range of stakeholders within the Company.
If this role sounds like the challenge you are looking for, then please give me a call to discuss as this role is immediately available, with a quick turnaround process.