An excellent opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our global FMCG client Unilever, the powerhouse behind brands such as Domestos, Cif, Sure and Persil have an opening for a Biotechnologist/Organic Chemist for a 2 year contract. This post will be based from Unilever's prestigious Research & Development Facility in Port Sunlight, Wirral, paying up to £30,000 per annum.
This grant funded post is based within Home Care Division, Science & Technology Institute, Department Disruptive Biotechnology and Biosourcing at Unilever.
The successful applicant will work together with other postdoctoral fellows involved within a multidisciplinary project team of different academic and industrial partners. The post will include regular visits and communication with all partners who will access the properties of new enzymes and new chemicals for industrial applications.
A key focus for this role is to synthesise and formulate novel new ingredients Into Home Care products that have to be both appealing to consumers and conform with Unilever's product action standards.
- Identify and synthesise novel renewable surfactants
- Scale up and translate data from fundamental physical chemical properties to products that deliver existing and new consumer relevant benefits.
- Develop new formulation routes to achieve products that can deliver consumer perceivable benefits, especially many of the new novel ingredients (biologics & chemicals) possess complex solution and interfacial properties.
- Plan, establish, implement and verify formulations using different material (biologics & chemicals) across scales (from micro- to large scale), with an emphasis on high throughput methodologies.
- Accurate recording, statistical analysis & reporting of large sets of data.
- Work across scientific disciplines, to be integral part of a multi-disciplinary research team and to liaise pro-actively across company R&D teams to achieve defined research objectives.
- Communicate with stakeholders/scientific community about experimentation, scientific outcomes, and scientific presentation of project progress.
- Ability to work independently, work within different teams of disruptive sustainability group/work streams, to contribute actively to scientific discussions and problem solving sessions
- Being receptive to feedback, and suggestions to improve way of working
- Willingness to integrate/to understand the business perspective when discussing, planning and exploring scientific hypotheses
- Being scientifically innovative - creative and multi-disciplinary
- Practical creativity and strong hands on attitude
- Learning from experience, flexibility to adapt to a fast moving / changing environment
- Open mindset for critics, feedback, suggestions for improvement
- Very good communication and presentation skills
- Excellent Team working capability
- Relevant PhD. Ability to demonstrate sufficient knowledge in the discipline and of research methods and techniques to work within established research programmes.
- Experinced in organic chemistry, organic synthesis, molecule production (upstream & downstream processing), instrumental analytics and an appreciation for automation, high throughput and formulation science.
- Knowledge of solution phase and interfacial properties of polymers, surfactants is essential
- Practical experience in formulating products at Bench Scale is essential as is the assessment of the formulation action standards.
- Knowledge of Statistical analysis of data is essential
- Practical experience of measurement techniques and separation techniques to determine formulation microstructures, ingredient interactions, ingredient characterisation and droplet/particle sizing is essential