RBC Postgraduate International Student Mentor (Music)
Days/Hours: Average of 2-3 hours per week (mainly during term-time)
Duration: September 2019 to July 2020
Location: Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
Selection Date: Week commencing the 10th June 2019
A Job Description
1 Purpose of the Post
The post holder(s) will offer advice and guidance to international postgraduate students studying at the Conservatoire to support their progression, retention and achievement at the University. This may include academic and pastoral support and may require an awareness of and liaison with additional student support services available across the University.
PLEASE NOTE: This post is only open to continuing international postgraduate Royal Birmingham Conservatoire music students.
2 Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide advice, support and resources to international postgraduate students at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire to help them achieve their educational, professional and personal goals and address specific needs for their programme of study. This support and guidance may be made available through individual and group based mentoring sessions.
- To demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the needs of international students coming to study in the UK at postgraduate level.
- To liaise and negotiate with the academic or departmental teams to ensure that appropriate advice is provided to mentees.
- To understand the role of the student mentor and to make referrals to other departments should that need arise.
- To maintain records of student engagement and mentor activities to demonstrate impact of the role.
- To undertake any other duties, commensurate with the nature and grading of the post, that may be required.PERSON SPECIFICATION
Category and Guidance
Professional approach to the working environment
Undertaking postgraduate study (music) at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
Able to speak another language other than English
Experience of studying in the UK as an international student
Demonstrable experience of full engagement in the Birmingham Conservatoire education
Some previous mentoring / teaching experience
Good standard of spoken and written English, and of English comprehension
Good understanding of the breadth and distinct nature of what Royal Birmingham Conservatoire offers students
Practical and Intellectual Skills
Good IT skills including use of Word and Excel
Ability to be organised, flexible and to deploy effective time management skills
Ability to use own initiative and problem solving skill
Ability to remain calm and professional when under pressure
Ability to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
Excellent and effective communication skills
Works effectively in a team and independently
* How tested:
a) Application form
As well as uploading your CV, you will also need to answer the following three questions as part of your application. Please add these to your covering letter;
Apply for RBC Postgraduate International Student Mentor (Music)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly