Infrastructure Support Specialist II (Cabling)
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation. Our client, a blue chip IT company is currently seeking an Infrastructure Support Specialist II based on their customer site in Slough (with occasional travel to London Cabot Sq., E14 or Global Switch E14). This is a Temporary full-time role until January 2020 with a possibility to extend for another year, working Monday - Friday 7.00am - 9.00pm Split Shift Saturday 8.00am-5.00pm and required to do on-call. They are looking for somebody to start ASAP. The role is paying £152 per day LTD, depending on experience.
The ISS II is responsible for day to day administration of technical infrastructure & services (networks, systems, databases), covering the physical delivery, maintenance and ongoing support, providing systems programming, installation, customisation, testing services and technical support. Will provide problem diagnosis & resolution. Will install & configure customer solutions, install operating systems, firmware updates, software patches and software updates to achieve optimum product functionality. Responsible for planning, designing, implementing and leading installation projects or process. Will manage client/server issues, technology procurement & maintaining integrity and links. Provides technical support and advises on the use of programming tools, database systems and the optimisation of production programs.
- Installation, termination and testing of all data centre interlink cabling ( i.e CAT-5e, CAT-6 6A, fibre optic)
- Installation, maintenance and lifecycle of the whole trunk-infrastructure across building backbone
- Fault- finding of network cabling within Datacentre, able to trace and test connections and resolving issues. Fibre Optic termination testing and fault finding with OTDR, Fusion Splicing, Fluke testing equipment
- Provide onsite support using Fluke testing equipment to test all new and suspect cable connections.
- Supporting of LAN & WAN Infrastructure components, structured cabling, VOIP telephone systems and voice recording.
- Managing Patch schedules for Platform provisioning ( i.e new server deployment), patch cables are installed- labelled and tested according to work order requests
- Ability to order and manage stock, keeping an up to date inventory of all cabling.
- Understand the current projects & initiatives, being able to drive a team through to project completion to high standards including project reporting and documentation.
- Where appropriate carryout planning, management, implementation and reporting.
- Ensure support document read and understood.
- Ensure Team members are aware and ready to support the projects post implementation.
- Ensure defined change management processes followed.
- Perform duties at a team leader level.
Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate will need to have an extensive knowledge of data cabling with proven experience of (CAT-5e, CAT-6 6A, and fiber optic), able to terminate patch panels floor boxes and wall panels with proven accreditations and experience.
- Basic understanding of network VLAN's and IP addressing
- Have good knowledge of Fiber Optic terminating testing and fault-finding with OTDR, Fusion Splicing and Fluke testing equipment.
- Good knowledge of cabling products of manufacturer's i.e Systemax, Commscope, Corning, etc
- Good knowledge of cabling products of manufacturer's i.e Systemax, Commscope, Anixter , Corning, etc
- Knowledge of end user ticketing tools, Snow/Remedy including updating -forwarding and closing of tickets.
- Good Excel skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer orientation, self-motivation, and the ability to work in a team are important
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Positive attitude, ready to help all support teams with cabling related issues