Student Recruitment and Support Advisor
To provide information and routine advice to support enquirers and students in registration and study with The Open University, through both proactive and reactive contact via a number of channels including Inbound and Outbound phone calls, emails, letters, online webchat and social media, and face to face:
- Generic information provision will be required, based on standard operating procedures and policies, informed by use of a knowledge management system as well as briefings, training events, use of databases and printed material to access accurate and up to date information.
- Information provision will also concentrate on a particular area of subject matter expertise, relating to a specific student group with common needs or to a specific curriculum area and associated Faculty area of study.
- This will cover a wide range of matters across the student lifecycle from qualification and module registration, through to examination and graduation arrangements and provision of references.
To undertake associated administrative and operational processes to action enquirer and student requests:
- Administration related to enrolment, reference requests etc.
- Transferring calls appropriately and effectively to other specialist staff as part of an Information Advice and Guidance model, and where appropriate or necessary, booking follow up appointments for those specialists at times convenient to students and enquirers.
- Respond to complex queries in agreed areas of expertise, as part of specialist Student Recruitment and Support teams, and process complex transactions in support of this, following expert training.
To work as part of a flexible operation to provide support and answer queries from students, enquirers and Associate Lecturers within agreed timescales. To work to a rota as part of a Work Force Management System to ensure that all activity is dealt with promptly and effectively and within agreed Service Levels:
- Participate actively in the achievement of agreed service standards.
- Contribute to the regular monitoring and review of these standards.
- Exercise initiative in dealing with issues, interpreting and applying procedures and guidelines within agreed boundaries.
To access, utilise and update university systems and databases:
- To maintain student and enquirer records including qualification and module records, personal details, and the Open University Customer Relationship Management tool
- To provide accurate information and follow agreed operating procedures using the Open University Knowledge Management System.
To assist proactively in the development and continuous improvement of good internal and inter team working and service provision:
- Attending and actively participating in team meetings and developmental activities.
- Contributing to business improvement ideas and initiatives, making recommendations to Team Managers as appropriate.
- Showing initiative in helping the team to run smoothly, and working with and supporting other teams as required.
- Engage actively in the support and development of new team members.
- Developing appropriate testing criteria in conjunction with Team Managers to ensure effective and accurate testing of any new business rule changes, prior to implementation.
- Undertaking other activities as directed by Team Managers.
To continually develop skills and knowledge to maintain and improve personal performance, in the spirit of continuous improvement and to adopt correct and evolving business practices and procedures:
- Undertaking all duties in accordance with internal policy and external legislation.
- Working with Team Manager to understand personal performance and areas for development.
- Providing feedback to contribute to colleagueâ€™s performance development.
- Accepting feedback from colleagues to improve personal skills and knowledge.
Education, qualifications and training
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above, or equivalent.
Knowledge, work and other relevant experience
- Recent experience of working in a customer facing environment.
- Relevant office experience, including use of Microsoft office packages.
- Experience of answering and actioning diverse queries, using a wide range of information sources.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written: e.g. effective telephone techniques, use of plain English to explain policies and processes and to write clearly, succinctly and correctly.
- Flexibility: including adaptability to changing circumstances, duties,
- work practices and systems and a commitment to ongoing development with the ability to demonstrate a rapid understanding of newly presented information.
- Good organisational skills: including the ability to cope with heavy workloads and repetitive tasks and to meet deadlines, working productively and accurately in a high pressure environment. An ability to deal with and follow documented information and procedures: using initiative in problem-solving, whilst recognising boundaries.
- Strong IT skills: especially use of standard Microsoft Office packages.
- An understanding of team working and the ability to work as part of a team.
- An understanding of Equal Opportunities issues and a commitment to equal opportunities and diversity. Commitment to excellent customer service.