Formulation Science Project Coordinator
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Formulation Science Project Coordinator, to be based in Seacroft, Leeds. Our client is a global FMCG Company with Brands such as Lipton, Ben & Jerry's, Knorr, Persil & Magnum therefore this is an excellent opportunity to join a world leading organisation.
This is a full-time temporary role for 5 months to start ASAP, paying between £24,800 - £27,900 per annum, pro rata (depending on experience).
This job is based in the formulation development function within the Global Category Design Centre. You will work to deliver relevant technologies to the brand as well as supporting the deodorant formulation strategy, focusing on the development of leading edges formulations and technologies on specific applicator to deliver new products for global rollout through working with the formulation and research teams and also external suppliers.
Main Purpose of Job:
- Taking responsibility for delivering new formulations for global innovation projects on specific applicator.
- Support capability managers to build formulation applicator capability working with external parties.
- High level of technical input at both theoretical and practical levels.
- Lead a formulation work-stream within a medium project to deliver a new formulation on specific applicator or/and multiple formulation streams in smaller projects.
- Communicate updates to the project team and to the global formulation community making recommendations.
- Support capability manager in the delivery of formulation applicator capability strategy by managing specific areas of new technology development.
- This involves working with suppliers/third parties, scouting for technical ideas/solutions; setting up relevant confidential agreements when required and contributing to the patenting process of any new technology breakthroughs.
- Creates formulations to meet consumer needs by manufacturing and testing new and existing formulations and using technical expertise to solve specific issues related to new ingredients, ingredients interactions, physical properties, stability and processing.
- Actively monitors competitor launches specific to applicator area and through formulation expertise to understand implications for products/ brands and to generate support for claim/patent challenges.
- Have recognisable expertise in a specific formulation type providing technical support and/or answering queries to the formulation team, internal cross-functional teams and Regional Deploy Centres.
- Support technical project leader on general project management activities leading some of them such as claim substantiation and technical specifications.
- Responsible for co-ordinating and implementing appropriate technical training to facilitate development and understanding on specific applicator within the formulation team and when necessary across functional teams.
- Accountable for ensuring that the lab operates to world class standards by Supervising and supporting a laboratory core team, implementing the appropriate systems and continuously improving ways of working.
- Using specialised technical knowledge and rigour to develop new protocols and characterisation techniques and to identify new equipment requirements on specific applicator.
- Manage day-to-day activities of laboratory assistant and/or team student/temps.
- Educated to degree level in either a science or engineering discipline.
- Ability to manage databases and coordinate with different areas of the business.
- Can work independently with minimal supervision but also has the ability to communicate with people at all levels of the business, including internationally.
- Previously worked within and managed a formulation laboratory, with good working knowledge of COSHH and risk assessment.
- In-depth knowledge of formulation techniques preferably gained in FMCG or cosmetic care.
- Some packaging and processing knowledge would be an advantage.
- Great organisation and communication are key.