External Projects Assurance Officer
We are recruiting for a External Projects Assurance Office to work on our client site based at University House, Bartholomew Row, Birmingham, B5 5JU.
Start Date: ASAP
Length of Assignment: 6 to 8 weeks
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Assist the External Project Assurance Manager in providing advice & guidance in relation to compliance on externally funded projects and assist the Head of Delivery and compliance on financial audits and data.
Additional Key Requirements:
Managing people and resources
Provide guidance and training for staff in compliance requirements
Maintain systems to support the effective capture of external funding pipelines
Main activities and responsibilities
1. Assist the Head of Delivery & Compliance in providing support in the development, implementation and maintenance of project financial management to maximise the robustness of the data to meet audit requirements.
2. Produce quarterly performance review reports and establish systems needed to monitor performance.
3. Assist in the delivery of both financial and non-financial reviews of externally funded faculty projects.
4. Produce reports for Senior Management on the effectiveness of controls in place to manage the risks on Externally Funded projects.
5. Attend Vice Chancellor Office (VCO) Project Reviews when required and report on potential areas of risk.
6. Provide support in the development and implementation of Management Information Systems (MIS) in relation to the monitoring of externally funded activity across the University. This will require skills in SharePoint, InfoPath, Access and Excel.
7. Assist the External Project Assurance Manager in SharePoint administration and have a
'hands on' role in the development of the Project Notification Form.
8. Demonstrate a clear understanding of systems and processes and advise project managers of externally funded projects in the development of systematic financial reporting systems to facilitate the management and reporting of activities.
9. Develop working relationships with both internal and external auditors and maintain high standards and quality in the information provided to these auditors.
10. Assist in disseminating knowledge and good practice on external funding to all faculties and I&E staff.
11. Assist in the delivery of workshops to Faculty staff in relation to Funding requirements, risk management and University processes and procedures for External Funding activity.
12. Assist in developing new policies and procedures relating to External Funding.
13. Apply and keep up to date with BCU and structural/grant funded compliance knowledge (claims, outputs, forecasts and reporting) including keeping well informed on new developments under ERDF, ESF, H2020.
14. Help develop a central repository for contracts in order to assist with external audit in terms of FRS102.
15. Assist the Contracts Manager with external and internal Audits relating to contract management.
Communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences in order to achieve change needed for projects to comply with funding requirements.
Communicate frequently with Associate Deans, RIE Directors and heads of department on risks associated with projects under delivery and with performance of the bid pipeline against targets.
There is a requirement for good interpersonal skills and the ability to flex communication style.
* A first degree in business, IT, finance, Law or other related area or part professional accountancy qualification.
* Practical experience of maintaining necessary documentation for external funders i.e. EU & UK Government funding programmes.
* Experience of managing budgets.
* Understanding of Risk Management.
* Excellent level of IT skills including MS Office, Word, Excel - including PivotTable and database manipulation and Access databases.
* Advanced understanding of SharePoint
Able to demonstrate:
* An ability to work as part of a small focused team.
* An ability to work independently.
* Adaptability to meet the changing demands and needs involved in project compliance and financial activities.
* Ability to meet client expectations through a sound understanding of their requirements.
* A commitment to continuous improvement.
* Ability to deal confidently, but flexibly with a wide variety of academic staff and people
- within partner organisations
- able to establish professional credibility with senior staff internal and external to the Univeristy
- good interpersonal skills
- strong commitment and proactive approach to customer service