Design Lead Engineer (Gunnery)
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Overall Department Direction
An exciting opportunity for a Gunnery Design Lead Engineer for our above water Navy weapon systems portfolio and to support future business development opportunities, within the Defence Systems Technology (DST) business unit of Babcock International Group.
We are looking for a brave, collaborative and experienced Design Lead Engineer to meet a future fast moving and challenging gunnery programme and help make the world a safer place through supporting the Ministry of Defence and the Royal Navy.
This role will be based at the Combined Weapons Electrical Workshop (CWEW), Devonport Royal Dockyard, as well as other locations to support the project and the potential for international travel.
This role is responsible for delivery to the Engineering Manager with assurance agreement with the Chief Engineer (Design Authority) and within the scope of that specified by the Project and Programme Management.
Main Purpose of Role
In this role you will guide the Design Authority aspects for above water Navy gunnery system projects to ensure system effectiveness and safety, to defined standards. The key activities will be as follows:
* Provide technical oversight for the development of documentation in line with all required standards for quality and safety including gaining approval for applicable safety cases and developing Certificates of Design
* Support the Design Authority within weapons future growth project to ensure the technical integrity and quality of output.
* Ensure technical management of the engineering output to ensure delivery of technical solutions in line with agreed technical scope.
* Engage with multidisciplinary subject matter experts and non-technical stakeholders, such as commercial, project and programme management to support development to meet safety, quality, time, and cost requirements.
* Ensure application of the highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards with regard to matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours.
* Plan, lead and control engineering processes and activities to ensure delivery to agreed programme and budget.
* Present to internal and external customers on engineering decisions and opportunities.
* Ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope.
* Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of future workload and coach and mentor members of the team.
* Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice and provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change.
* Provide oversight for technical problems and undertake root cause analysis to identify design solutions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
* Extensive knowledge of relevant standards for engineering design within the weapons defence sector.
* Knowledge of the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Project.
Key Behaviours and Technical Competencies
* This role requires someone for whom collaboration and working in partnership comes naturally.
* A self-motivator with good communication and organisational skills, in a fast paced role with tasking from multiple stakeholders.
* Able to manage and co-ordinate a team providing guidance where appropriate.
* Candidates must be driven to complete tasks to the benefit of the project for quality, time, and cost.
* Candidates must have a strong H&S ethic.
* Willingness to travel to other Babcock and customer sites nationally and internationally as required.
* Be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities across different projects simultaneously.
* The ability to harmonise multiple standards.
* Experience of managing multidisciplinary engineering teams.
* Experience of RN operations or support activities.
* Experience of developing engineering design processes, procedures and tools.
* Experience of creating, collating and managing a complex suite of documentation.
* Degree level in Engineering Discipline with significant demonstrable experience and capability.
* Professionally registered or capable of registration with the Engineering Council.
* Full UK driving licence.
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Closing Date: 31/08/20