Technical Lead Engineer/Gunnery
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Overall Department Direction
An exciting opportunity for a Gunnery Technical Lead Engineer for our above water Navy weapon systems portfolio and to support future business development opportunities.
We are looking for a brave, collaborative and experienced Technical Lead Engineer to meet a future fast moving and challenging gunnery programme and help make the world a safer place through supporting the Ministry of Defence and the Royal Navy.
This role is responsible for delivery to the Engineering Manager with assurance agreement with the Chief Engineer and within the scope of that specified by the Through Life Support (TLS), Project and Programme Managers.
Main Purpose of Role
In this role you will lead detailed examination of the construction and composition of Navy gunnery systems for the development of technical information to create engineering documentation for test, trials and acceptance. The role will ensure system effectiveness and safety, to defined standards as agreed with the Engineering Manager, TLS Manager and Design Authority. The key activities will be as follows:
* Lead a multidisciplinary engineering team (including Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Software and Systems Engineers) for detailed examination of the construction and composition of Navy gunnery systems.
* Develop engineering documentation to meet the requirements of complex gunnery assets and capability for configuration management to be agreed with the Engineering and TLS Managers.
* Manage the development of technical documentation in line with all required standards for quality and safety in line with agreed technical scope.
* Support the Design Authority within weapons future growth project to ensure the technical integrity and quality of output.
* Engage with multidisciplinary subject matter experts and non-technical stakeholders, such as commercial, project and programme management to support development to meet safety, quality, time, and cost requirements.
* Ensure application of the highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards with regard to matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours.
* Plan, lead and control engineering processes and activities to ensure delivery to agreed programme and budget.
* Present to internal and external customers on engineering decisions and opportunities.
* Ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope.
* Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of future workload and coach and mentor members of the team.
* Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice and provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change.
* Provide oversight for technical problems and undertake root cause analysis to identify design solutions.
* Support the identification & implementation of improved engineering business processes that enhance group capabilities.
* Provide technical support to bid opportunities in support of further business growth.
Where required, the post holder shall provide mentorship of junior members of the team including apprentices, undergraduates and graduates on development placements.
Required Skills and Competences
* Extensive knowledge and experience of creation and management of technical data and associated software packages for complex engineering assets.
* Extensive knowledge of relevant standards for engineering design within the weapons defence sector.
* Knowledge of the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Project.
Key Behaviours and Technical Competencies:
* This role requires someone for whom collaboration and working in partnership comes naturally.
* We're looking for a courageous individual who will continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, and speak up when we need to do better.
* Able to supervise and co-ordinate a team providing guidance where appropriate.
* Candidates must be driven to complete tasks to the benefit of the project for quality, time, and cost.
* Candidates must have a strong H&S ethic.
* A flexible approach and able to adapt quickly to work flow change to meet internal and external customer demands.
* Willingness to travel to other Babcock and customer sites nationally and internationally as required.
* Be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities across different projects simultaneously.
* Experience of creating, collating and managing a complex suite of documentation.
* Experience of managing multidisciplinary engineering teams.
* Experience of RN operations or support activities desirable.
* Experience of developing engineering design processes, procedures and tools.
* Degree level in Engineering Discipline with significant demonstrable experience and capability.
* Professionally registered or capable of registration with the Engineering Council.
* Full UK driving licence.
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
Closing Date: 31.08.20