Location: All University campuses
Pay: £8.72 per hour
Contract type: FTE - hours will be flexible
The Student Assistant workforce are the face of the University. They will be the first people that students, staff and visitors will come into contact with upon arriving to campus locations and are therefore key to giving an excellent first impression and positive view of BCU's safety and wellbeing for all.
The role will be multi-skilled and functional as they will be working on different sites and tasks ranging from packing and distributing PPE bags, guiding and supporting staff and students, general administrative type tasks, to assisting Library staff where applicable.
They will be willing to work in allocated zones and spaces to ensure that all staff and students in communal areas (corridors, cafes, etc.) and unsupervised areas (learning zones, classrooms, etc.) are supported to:
- Quickly find where they are going
- Comply with all requirements on social distancing and wearing face coverings to support a Covid-19 secure workplace
The workforce will also be expected to escalate action where a staff member or student does not comply with requirements and may need to handle situations where a staff or student member indicates they feel ill with Covid-19.
- Meeting and greeting all visitors outside the buildings to distribute PPE 'safe' bags
- Support all staff and students to find their destination
- Keep people moving so that areas do not become log jammed
- Ensure face coverings are worn at all times in communal areas (unless the person is displaying a dispensation badge)
- Ensure that social distancing requirements are maintained at all times
- Politely remind staff and students to adhere to requirements where there may not be complying
- Escalate matters of staff and students who are not adhering to requirements immediately to your direct report for the day
- Where anyone indicates they feel ill with Covid-19 symptoms to follow the correct procedure to minimise risk to others and to support the individual to safety
- Provide additional administrative support across the University
- Faculty ambassador where applicable
- PPE bag packing
- Library ambassador
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
· A positive approach to University and Higher Education
· Excellent communication skills
· Customer service experience with an understanding of how to provide good customer service
· Knowledge of the building in which they are working, not limited to other University locations
· Tact and diplomacy
· Knowledge of the University's approach to reporting and handling suspected and actual cases of Covid-19
· Knowledge of fire exit processes in case of a building evacuation
· Able to work independently and take initiative when required
How it works
Once your application has been marked as successful you will undergo mandatory training and induction prior to attending site. Upon arriving on your first day, you will report to specialist area to be allocated your role for the day.
Please send in your CV and confirm in the cover note whether you have been referred by the Employability Team at BCU.