We are recruiting for a Carpenter / Joiner.
You will be responsible for the installation and repair on a wide range of building fabric components and equipment (Internal & external repair of structural components, building equipment repairs, ironmongery renewals & lock repairs, key cutting, automatic door audits, security locking maintenance, fire door & compartments inspections, operation of woodworking machinery, metalworking skills) etc.
You will undertake planned maintenance, reactive repairs, minor improvements, supports other trades and discretionary capital work aas directed by management, ensuring compliance with safety standards and procedures at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- You will work generally unsupervised to undertake the majority of tasks and repair work using own judgement to effect repairs/solutions within capability.
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance inspections and record supporting documentation as necessary.
- Undertake essential repair works and general maintenance activities at the request of the team leader.
- Comply with the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Uses all relevant tools and equipment within safety guidelines as necessary for the completion of works
- To be prepared to work in environments such as working at height, working in a confined space, working in close proximity to waste water, hot and cold environments ensuring all safety measures are implemented to avoid injury and prevent damage to equipment.
- If required undertake on-call duties as part of the on-call team to ensure that emergency repairs, adverse weather support including snow clearance and gritting are attended to, in and out of normal hours in line with on-call agreement.
- Check drawings, records, databases, logs, electronic devices for policies procedures etc, Including databases such as asbestos
- Perform routine work including for example carrying out specific inspections, surveys and plant audits, minor repairs, taking utility services meter readings, etc.
- Undertake detailed examination of component failure, identify cause, initiate & complete technical craft solution.
- Manufacture & assemble or repair building components operating all plant and equipment to carry out the works. (heavy woodworking machinery, PVC forming tool, key cutting machine etc).
- To liaise with Team Leader regarding building fabric components or equipment failures and to request the supply of goods and/or services as necessary.
- Undertakes testing & condition appraisal of fire doors & compartmentation to comply with HTM Firecode 83 & 85. Requesting remedial works as & when required.
- Audits automatic doors to comply with BS 7036.
- Responsible for undertaking Building upgrades & maintenance in accordance with the latest edition of the Building Regulations & HTM.
- City & Guilds Levels 1,2,3
- A minimum of 8 years knowledge
- Driving licence
This is a full time, temporary position, the working hours are Monday to Thursday, 8 am - 4 pm and Friday, 8 am - 3.30 pm. You will be out in the community undertaking the above duties.
The role offers an hourly rate of £10.29 for the first 12 weeks, increasing to £11.19 per hour thereafter.
Satisfactory references and a DBS check is required.