Class 2 Driver - Road Gritter
Various depots - Northern Ireland
3 Week rolling ROTA
£9.80-£21.50ph depending on shifts worked.
Manpower are currently recruiting Class 2 drivers for our client DfI in Woodburn, Derry. This is a temporary position to cover the winter season, which is over a period of twenty-four weeks, starting Monday 11 October 2020 until Sunday 28 March 2021. In some circumstances the season may commence early or be extended if there are long term forecasts for poor weather.
- Drivers will be assigned to a depot to operate from when a requirement is identified, and they will normally remain with that depot for the entire winter season.
- Successful applicants will receive a minimum 2 days formal training on the safe operation of gritting vehicles.
- You must possess and carry their current valid driving licence and CPC card at all times while in DfI vehicles.
- Drivers must be available for gritting actions on a 3-week Week 1 - 00:00 - 12:00, Week 2 - 12:00 - 24:00, Week 3 - Rest. Normally each gritting action takes between 2.5 to 3.5 hours to complete except in certain weather conditions where it may take longer, or if repeat grits are called back to back. Gritting operations are normally carried out during off peak times with the aim to have all routes on the gritted network completed by 07:30 for AM shifts and commenced after the rush hour at 18:00 hours for the PM shift. However due to weather conditions and operational requirements gritting can and does occur at any time of the day or night.
- You must be able to respond to calls rapidly at all times during the 12 hours in the AM or PM rota period and also be prepared to receive call outs at any hour of the day/night with minimum notice given.
- Current Class 2 driving licence with recent experience.
- Valid CPC and Digital Tachograph Card
- Ability to work on your own and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Previous experience driving gritter vehicle
- Health and Safety / First Aid related qualification
Department for Infrastructure (DfI) Roads is responsible for developing, managing and maintaining the public road network in Northern Ireland. DfI Roads Operations and Maintenance (Roads O&M) is the contractor provider unit within DfI Roads that carries out routine and responsive road maintenance work in response to its network service client requirements.
There are 23 operational depots based in four operational Areas across Northern Ireland with 20 used during winter service.
Roads O&M Headquarters is based in Ballymena, County Antrim.
You will be required to complete a driving assessment with the client.
Interested? Apply now with your CV to