Type 31 Programme
About the role
Babcock Energy and Marine Division employees highly skilled people and are the UK's leading naval support business. Our experience draws on an unmatched range of engineering and technical skills in providing through-life services and deep maintenance to the Royal Navy's major warships and nuclear-powered submarines, in addition to operating a wide range of strategic shore-based naval support facilities.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including the £1.5bn Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme. Babcock has brought together a highly experienced and integrated project team spanning several regions of the UK, to meet the challenging Type 31 Programme.
We are looking for a Configuration Controller to join the Type 31 team and apply technical and administrative direction and surveillance to: identify and document the functional and physical characteristics of the design; control changes to those characteristics; and record and report changes to processing and implementation status.
- Configuration Planning and Management: configuration management and promotion by developing processes and workflow. Collating and manipulating data to support the team to make improvements and add value to processes, planning and documentation, as well as making better use of data collated.
- Configuration Identification: setting and maintaining baselines, which define the system or subsystem architecture, components, and any developments at any point in time. It is the basis by which changes to any part of a system are identified, documented and later tracked through design, development, testing, and final delivery. CI incrementally establishes and maintains the definitive current basis for Configuration Status Accounting (CSA) of a system and its configuration items (CIs) throughout their lifecycle (development, production, deployment, and operational support) until disposal.
- Configuration Control: evaluation of all change-requests and change-proposals, and their subsequent approval or disapproval. It covers the process of controlling modifications to the system's design, hardware, firmware, software, and documentation.
- Configuration Status Accounting: recording and reporting configuration item descriptions and all departures from the baseline during design and production. In the event of suspected problems, the verification of baseline configuration and approved modifications can be quickly determined.
- Configuration Verification and Audit: an independent review of hardware and software for the purpose of assessing compliance with established performance requirements, commercial and appropriate military standards, and functional, allocated, and product baselines. Configuration audits verify that the system and subsystem configuration documentation complies with the functional and physical performance characteristics before acceptance into an architectural baseline.
This will be a fantastic opportunity to join a highly prestigious team and support on our high profile projects. As well as working for the UK's leading naval support business, we will also provide you with all the training, support and benefits that you would expect from a global company.
What do I need to do the role?
Ideally, you will hold a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering / Project / Construction Management or a related field; however, HNC or above will be considered with relevant experience. You will have experience working with the MoD in a defence environment or another highly regulated industry and come from a bespoke manufacturing or shipbuilding environment.
The position requires previous configuration management experience. If you hold a professional qualification (e.g. APM/Acoste/RICS/CMII or equivalent) this would also be beneficial.
What else do I need to know?
You will work 37 hours per week Monday to Friday with flexible working and you must be able to achieve the appropriate level of Security Clearance.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training. We are committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You will benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.