Submarine Design Lead
Starting salary £49,640 - £55,690 dependent on experience
About the role
Babcock co-own HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We are a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
We're looking for a Waterfront Design Assurance Lead to provide subject matter expertise in the field of submarine and surface ship engineering, to provide design assurance activities associated with refit and in-service support of submarines and surface ships in Devonport, Clyde and Portsmouth.
- Lead on devising solutions to the engineering problems encountered by the various production teams.
- Ensure technical integrity and quality of all proposed solutions including both production activity and planning preparations for upkeep periods.
- Take a lead role in the application of engineering governance on all refit and in-service support activities managed by the surface ship and submarine Waterfront Project Managers
- Support the identification & implementation of improved engineering processes to enhance design change activities.
- Support bidding and business winning as required.
- Undertake Project Technical Authority (PTA) role within authorisation limits or request PTA support with appropriate Chief Engineer endorsement on all submarine and ship refit support activities.
- Define and apply appropriate engineering governance to tasks in accordance with governance procedures.
- Discus and agree with CE which aspects of design lifecycle and assurance documentation are appropriate, apply and produce records.
- Assist Project Managers in facilitating reach back support to the E&M technical teams (Design & Engineering) outside of the waterfront team.
- Ensure activities are correctly scoped to meet Project Manager's delivery requirements.
What do I need to do the role?
The role is the subject matter expert for the waterfront support area and requires deep professional expertise, knowledge & experience. You should be a Chartered Engineer (or working towards CEng status) and Member of a relevant institute. You will possess an Engineering Degree (or BTEC equivalent qualification in relevant engineering or STEM discipline with considerable demonstrable and relevant experience), and have substantial demonstrable post degree experience of submarine and ship refits.
You will have demonstrable experience solving complex engineering problems based on considerable in depth knowledge of submarine and ship refit/repair/operation linked to knowledge of MoD organisation and processes.
In addition, knowledge of and a willingness to implement emerging technology to shorten refit time and improve repair methods would be an advantage, as would holistic submarine/ship knowledge including construction, shock withstand and combat systems.
What else do I need to know?
The role is predominantly to support submarines, although surface ship support will also be required. You will have proven experience in delivering assurance of complex engineering projects. You will have no line management responsibilities in this role.
You will work 36 hours per week Monday to Friday with flexible working and you must be able to achieve the appropriate level of Security Clearance. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.