Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Starting Salary: £43,445
About the role
We're looking for a Dockside Manager within the Submarines business unit reporting to Business Support Manager to join us at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We're a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security. You will provide governance of dockside activities in support of the plant manager and providing advice where necessary to ensure that all 9 Dock facility users are compliant with the requirements of the relevant safety cases.
As the Dockside Manager your role comprises a number of areas of responsibility ranging from a line management role to being the Duly Authorised Person for Safety Case implementation of Identified Operating Instructions / Operating Instructions relevant to the Safety Case.
What do I need to do the role?
You will have relevant engineering degree, recognised professional status or significant experience in relevant engineering discipline and educated to NVQ L5 standard. Have Nuclear Plant Foundation Course Modules 1 and 2 and DAP Course.
We would also like you to have experience in the following areas:
- As a DAP under LC12 you will be expected to demonstrate positive leadership with respect to Nuclear Safety and Compliance.
- You will be responsible for implementing Safety Case changes so will be required to understand the Safety Assessment, Nuclear Safety Case production and the LC22 process from the ACD (Admin Control Document) Responsible Owner perspective.
- To enable you to understand the requirements of the Safety Case and how it interacts with the submarine platforms you're with have to have a working knowledge of Submarine Operations and Systems.
- You will be the owner of a suite of Agility based compliance documents so will be required have an understanding of positive compliance documentation and be able to manage documentation via the Business Management System.
- To enable you to effectively design, develop and implement Safety Case changes and improvements in the Safety Management Arrangement in 9 Dock you will require a working knowledge of the relevant Processes and Procedures which control Lifting, Vehicle Access, Personnel Access and Safe Systems of Work used in these areas.
- Lastly you will enable enact these processes and procedures you will be required to be the owner and one of the trainers for a suite of Nuclear Safety Training courses so will be required to understand the SAT (Systematic Approach to Training) process and be required to qualify to deliver training at DRDL.
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance and NNPPI - which means you will be required to be sole British national to be considered for the post.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
- There is an on call responsibility
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face. More information will be provided regarding the format by the recruitment team. All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.