Slinger / Crane Supervisors
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Potential Earnings: Up to £31,000
About the role
Here at Devonport Royal Dockyard we're looking we are looking for "easy to work with" individuals who can support Lifting Services with carrying out site-wide lifting operations mainly as a Slinger Signaller & Crane Supervisor. There may also be other opportunities to assist the team with moving equipment around the site & lifting store.
Reporting to the Lifting Services Operations Manager, this role involves working with a range of lifting equipment including Dockside Cranes, Mobile Cranes, Overhead Travelling Cranes, Fork Lift Trucks and mechanical handling equipment.
- Promote safe working practices and standards throughout the DRDL site
- Safe execution of lifting operations in accordance with site lifting operations procedure FP14-33-00
- Promote a questioning attitude towards all lifting operations and tasks
- Assess working areas and complete POLSA/POWSAs in order to mitigate hazards
- Role modelling of Lifting Services standards
- Work to detailed Lift Plans, Method Statements and Risk Assessments
- Produce Basic Lift Plans
- Control of Lifting Services documents
- Safe use of lifting equipment and accessories
- Carrying out pre-use checks of equipment and recording findings
- Logging both positive & negative events and observations through Synergi-Life application
- Conducting toolbox talks and team briefs (pre & post job)
- Liaise with various stakeholders, Appointed Persons and lift teams
What do I need to do the role?
- Demonstrated Knowledge and experience of lifting operations using a range of equipment
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Recognised Slinger Signaller qualification
- Recognised Crane Supervisor qualification
- FLT qualification (desired but not essential)
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face.
Babcock are continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to ensure that this is done in a responsible way with consideration of the unprecedented circumstances we are facing.
It is unlikely that shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend a face-to-face interview in the first instance. Interviews will be held by phone, WhatsApp video, Skype or you may be asked to complete an online interview. You will have advance notice should we wish to arrange an interview with you and more information will be provided regarding the format by the recruitment team.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.
Closing date: 4th December 2020