An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation. Our client, a blue-chip IT company, is currently seeking a Data Centre Infrastructure Support Specialist II based at a well-known banking group's data centre in Lewisham and London Docklands. This is a full-time, permanent role Monday to Sunday (on a rotating shift pattern), working 12 hour shifts between 7am and 7pm, 24/7 365 to start January 2021. The role is paying between £30k - £35K depending on experience.
Based on customer sites predominantly in Lewisham SE London but also in London Docklands
Provide Data Centre cabling activities covering installation, termination and testing of all interlink patch cabling (i.e. CAT-5e, CAT-6A & various fibre connections.)
Daily activities include handling the physical delivery through to installation, maintenance and ongoing support on hardware across a multi-vendor environment
Hardware predominantly consists of H P, Dell & I B M ISS servers but also includes some Oracle/Sun hardware and various network devices (Palo Alto, Cisco, Juniper etc.)
Working a shift pattern (commonly known as continuous shift) which typically follows 4 on 4 off pattern of 12 hour shifts 7 days a week 07:00 - 19:00 & 19:00 - 07:00. Site is operational 24/7 365 days of the year.
Also includes a rotation through a 3-week flex period with expectation to cover minimum 10 shifts approx. 4-5 times a year
Responsible for the delivery of solutions within named accounts;
- Installation, termination and testing of all data centre interlink cabling (i.e. CAT-5e, CAT-6 6A, fibre optic)
- Responsible for all data cable infrastructure installs - UTP, OM3/OM4 and single mode fibre
- Fault- finding of network cabling within Datacentre, able to trace and test connections and resolving issues. Fibre Optic termination testing and fault finding with OTDR, Fluke testing equipment
- Provide onsite support using Fluke testing equipment to test all new and suspect cable connections.
- Supporting of LAN & WAN Infrastructure components, structured cabling, VOIP telephone systems and voice recording.
- Managing Patch schedules for Platform provisioning (i.e. new server deployment), patch cables are installed- labelled and tested according to work order requests
- Ability to order and manage stock, keeping an up to date inventory of all cabling.
- Assist with low level break fix activities on various server and network hardware.
- Provide Hands & Eyes support to customer on all Datacentre hardware & devices.
Essential skills and attributes:
- The ideal candidate will need to have an extensive knowledge of data cabling with proven experience of (CAT-5e, CAT-6 6A, and fibre optic, proven accreditations and experience would be beneficial.
- Basic understanding of network VLAN's and IP addressing
- Have good knowledge of Fibre Optic terminating testing and fault-finding with OTDR and Fluke testing equipment.
- Good knowledge of cabling products of manufacturer's i.e. Systemax, Commscope, Corning, etc
- Hands on experience with installation, connection and low-level maintenance on server hardware (H P, DELL, I B M) rack mounted devices.
- Good knowledge of cabling products of manufacturer's i.e. Systemax, Commscope, Anixter, Corning, etc
- Knowledge of end user ticketing tools, Snow/Remedy including updating -forwarding and closing of tickets.
- Good Excel skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer orientation, self-motivation, and the ability to work in a team are important
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Positive attitude, ready to help all support teams with cabling related issues
- Display calmness and the ability to solve problems under pressure.
- Team player and strong interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience of working in named Datacentres for companies such Equinix, Global Switch, Telehouse, Interxion, Sungard or as an employee of companies such as Redstone, SCC, Excel.