An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our Global FMCG Client, the powerhouse behind Magnum, Solero, Cornetto and Ben & Jerry's, are currently seeking a Machine Operative, based at Burton upon Trent. This is a full-time temporary role to run for 3 months, working 8 hours, Days/Evening/Nights - 4 to 5 days a week. Must be able to work on a 3-shift rotating pattern with some weekend working. The role is paying £12.12 P/H Pre Parity and £12.61 P/H at Parity.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
The range of Machine Operator roles generally sit within the Filling, Forklift and Material Transfer, Mixer, Packing and Reporting Job Families.
The Machine Operator is responsible for the safe operation of production equipment to deliver customer requirements through completion of the production plan, adhering to quality standards and maximising cost effectiveness, optimal running and equipment efficiency.
You will be expected to carry out cleaning and inspection activities and record any issues/problems with the equipment to pass to the Technical Operator to resolve. The Machine Operator should master the operation of a series of machines in order to provide factory resilience.
Technical - Knowledge and application of technical skills to Operate machinery safely and effectively in order to meet the production plan. Conduct cleaning and lubrication as required
- Maintain machinery to the prescribed standards and levels of cleanliness.
- Understand properties of materials being handled. Able to perform correct adjustment and setting.
- Proactively work with Professional Maintenance and Quality Control staff to achieve zero breakdowns and zero defects.
- Carry out product and process changeovers/wash-outs to maintain quality standards whilst minimising the impact to the production plan.
Safety - Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures relating to the Sourcing Unit and allocated equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team. Understand the legal responsibility placed upon individuals.
- Workplace Hazards - Full knowledge of the workplace and hazards within it. Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the task.
- Environment - Reduce costs due to waste and minimise impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials.
Quality - Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging faults. Detects process abnormalities quickly and takes emergency action to prevent them.
Continuous Improvement - Knowledge and understanding of the key principles of WCM and an awareness of the tools used to identify and prioritise losses in the production area and eliminate them; role requires data collection. Monitor measures and performance after initial improvements and take further action as required.
Problem Solving - A Working Knowledge of how to identify, prioritise and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence. Must demonstrate initiative.
Decision Making - Can make decisions to reject non-compliant products and to support the work plan for the day.
Teamwork - Must be a good team player capable of working within a highly effective team; responsible, supportive and able communicator.
Administration - Conducts effective hand-over activities and records accurately events that have occurred during shift (cases packed/ rejects/maintenance conducted etc).
Digital Capability - Strong understanding and utilization of SAP and other IT systems.
Physical Ability - Machine Operators require a level of agility to move quickly between workstations, ascend and descend steps. Assembly and control operations also require a level of hand eye coordination and finger dexterity.
- Minimum GCSE's or equivalent in English and Maths at grade C or above
- Basic mechanical awareness of the principles for factory automation.
- Can maintain focus and discipline for the task whilst demonstrating good problem solving skills to protect output targets.
- IT Skills - Competent in the use of Machine data and control systems that record Material Movement, Losses and Quality. Must also be competent in the use of Microsoft Office; Excel and Word programmes.
PREFERRED / DESIRABLE:
- Experience as a Machine Operator.
- Experience of manufacturing in a Fast-Moving Consumer Goods Company.
- Demonstrate strong mechanical aptitude to progress onto the Unilever Technical Operator Curriculum (Entry, Developing and Full level).