An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our Global FMCG Client Unilever, the powerhouse behind Persil, Comfort, Surf and Ben & Jerrys, are currently seeking a PART TIME Laundry Lab Assistant, based at their Port Sunlight Research site. This is a full-time temporary role for 6 months with strong possibility of extension.
This role will work 25 hours per week, 5 hours per day Monday - Friday, paying £10.73 per hour. The hours will be 9am to 2pm, but will also consider 10am to 3pm if necessary.
The Machine Dish Wash (MDW) and Laundry categories operate a large laboratory where internal tests are carried out. These tests are aimed at measuring the technical performance of our products in several areas. Because testing involves a large number of operational activities, we need a team that can run the operation of the machines, preparation of the samples, and occasionally run simple experiments.
The role is laboratory based, helping in running everyday experiments. The role is divided between MDW and Laundry the expectation is that it will be around 50/50 although there will be flexibility depending on programme. The main activities are as follows:
- MDW and washing machine preparation cleaning machines between studies so that they are ready for the next set of products or tests
- MDW Article collection and preparation this involves ensuring that plates/glasses, etc. are fit for use and are disposed if not.
- Laundry ballast load and standard fabric preparation this can involve cutting of fabrics, labelling, use of an overlocker to stitch fabric edges or make composite fabric monitors and the washing of fabrics and loads using standard wash processes
- MDW test washes turning on the dishwashers and opening doors at the end of cycle as appropriate, loading the machines with articles and adding the appropriate ballast soils.
- Laundry test washes loading machines, weighing and dosing of products, running required wash cycles, unloading of machines at end of cycle, retrieval of test monitors and drying of monitors and ballast loads.
- Preparation of water tanks for laundry and MDW 1-2hrs per day
- Re-wash of MDW articles for re-use, inventory and stock control
- Stain making for MDW studies.
- Simple MDW and Laundry experiments where a demonstration of product benefits is required this will be following a specific experimental process, usually with commercial products.
- Technical instrumental measurements on washed fabrics (after appropriate training) for instance colour measurements, softness measurements or the digital imaging of washed fabrics.
- Organisations skills ability to switch between various tasks in the course of the day, and plan for the week
- Attention to detail for instance the person needs to understand the need for the right mixes and soils to be used and ensure that machines are run with specific programmes and ensure that machines are loaded correctly
- Team work this role is in a team of 3 and they all have interact with many Unilever colleagues in the laboratory.
- Some understanding of chemistry is preferred but not essential e.g. A-Level