An excellent opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation - our global FMCG client U/L, the powerhouse behind brands such as Persil, Ben & Surf, Comfort, Domestos and Cif have an opening for a Formulation Chemist for a period of 12 months, paying between £25,536 - £28,373 per annum , pro rata, depending on experience. The role is to start ASAP, and is based in Liverpool (L7) at the University of Liverpool Material Innovation Factory.
As this role is predominantly lab based, you will be working on site during Covid Lock down approx. 60-80% of your week the rest will be worked from home with occasional travel to the U/L R&D facility in Port Sunlight, Wirral.
The successful individual will directly contribute to our surfactants replacement programme, working on an InnovateUK grant-funded project.
Our client and the University of Liverpool have invested in the state-of-the-art Liverpool Materials Innovation Factory (MIF), which opened in 2017. The successful candidate will work in MIF alongside experienced scientists using an array of formulation, measurement and evaluation capabilities to understand the potential of novel biobased technologies.
On a day to day basis, the successful candidate will conduct a number of different experimental procedures, including:
Prepare mixtures of ingredients and model home care formulationsConduct physical property measurements (e.g. rheology, surface tension, critical micelle concentration)Conduct performance evaluation including miniaturised, automated and medium scale cleaning experiments
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & DELIVERABLES:
- Carry out experiments and data analysis according to an agreed work plan
- Complete safety risk assessments for experiments (e.g. CoSHH)
- Record experiments in an electronic lab notebook
- Present results to project teams
- Contribute to scientific reports as required
- Work closely with other scientists within a multidisciplinary team, contributing ideas for technology evaluation
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
BSc in Chemistry or a related subject
Practical laboratory experience which may be through a BSc or MSc research project
Numerate, able to use good experimental design and apply basic statistical analysis to experimental results Confident and clear written and verbal communication.
IT literate, with the aptitude to work with complex equipment and electronic systems for information capture as well as MSOffice suite.
- Self-integrity: Able to work unsupervised for timely delivery of set work
- Full training in methodologies required will be given, but it may be advantageous if the candidate has experience and knowledge of surfactant science, home care performance evaluation methodologies and formulation science.