Location- Marlow, Bucks
MUST HAVE ENHANCED DBS
A hard-working, honest, dependable, self-motivated person to act as school caretaker, willing to uphold the school ethos and support the aims and values of our federation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the opening and closing, unlocking and locking of school gates and buildings
- Managing the setting of the school alarm system
- Overall security of the school premises including the locking of all windows and doors and the drawing of window blinds
- You may be called out at unsociable hours or at weekends to deal with security problems, make emergency repairs or allow access to any contractor who may be working on the site, in school holidays or weekends.
- Undertake duties to ensure the smooth running of the school
- Returning to school between shifts if required
- Upkeep and general care of the school
- Unlocking and re-locking bins in preparation for pick-up
- Ensuring that external rubbish is stored appropriately
- Cleaning of internal glass, internal and external door glass and internal side of external windows
- Cleaning of external windows at ground level
- Sweep yards, pick up litter and be responsible for the removal of all debris from paths, play areas, grassed areas, flowerbeds and all entrances.
- To empty internal recycling rubbish bins daily and work with pupils on recycling initiatives.
- Ensuring that the cleaning of toilets and toilet areas is done, and the replenishment of toiletries is carried out
- General maintenance and minor repair work including: doors, windows, toilet seats and flushes, furniture, tap washers and some painting of doors and walls.(This list is not exhaustive, but an example)
- Appropriate painting and redecoration.
- General porterage duties and moving of furniture
- Assisting teaching staff with simple tasks as requested
- Checking damage/security every morning on arrival at the premises
- Lettings and events as required; eg - liaising with PTA, unlocking and locking up school and general duties
- Preparation of Hall for functions as required
- Receive and check cleaning/maintenance supplies and take them to the appropriate place for storage
- Ensure that all refuse is disposed of promptly and stored away from the main building
- Routinely clean lamp shades and light diffusers (strip lights). The height limit is eleven feet
- Ensure that clear passage is maintained on fire escape routes
- Test fire alarms and emergency lighting weekly. Maintain test register.
- Take water temperatures regularly and record in legionella file
- Carry out periodic cleaning of all internal surfaces to a height of eleven feet from floor level
- Report any defects of building, furniture, fittings and equipment to the Office Manager, Head of School or Executive Headteacher
- Attend training as necessary
- Regularly empty external bins
- Daily check of roofs for pooling, loose tiles, plant growth etc.
- Clean roller shutters, soffits, bargeboards and external lights
- Keep all hard surfaces free of moss and weeds
- Disinfect drains and dustbins regularly
- Make safe any hazards and ensure that the area is cordoned off
- Keep paths, entrances free of ice and snow to ensure the safety of children, parents, staff and visitors.
- Regular visual inspections of school perimeter, playgrounds and outside paly and climbing apparatus as per schedule
- Liaise with grounds maintenance contractors as appropriate
- Be responsible for ordering cleaning equipment
Heating, Lighting and Water
- The switching off of all lights and appropriate electric plug sockets
- Ensure that all lights and heating are working effectively
- Turning off and on of auto-flushing units each evening and morning respectively during school time and holiday periods
- Read Electric and Water metres as required
- Monitoring and setting of heating controls and boilers
- Be aware of the location of all stopcocks, electricity meters and read meters as required.
- Ensure that the boiler house is tidy and that no flammable material is stored there
- Using appropriate PPE, replace, repair fluorescent tube starters and fluorescent tubes up to a height of eleven feet.
- Any other work requested by, and deemed appropriate by the Heads of Schools, Executive Headteacher and Governors by agreement with the caretaker
A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check will need to be returned prior to commencement of employment.
A detailed Information Handbook, essential work plan and timetable, will be issued subsequent to
Hours of Work
The working week will be up to 37 hours with a requirement to be on the school premises:
Monday to Thursday 8.00am - 11.00 am and 1.15pm - 5.45pm.
Friday 8.00am - 11.00 am and 1.15pm - 5.15pm
Monday - Thursday 8.00 am - 4.00 pm with half an hour for lunch
Friday 8.00 am - 3.30 pm with half an hour for lunch