Job Title: Principal Mechanical Engineer
Business Unit: Cavendish Nuclear
About the role
You will provide leadership in the delivery of engineering and technical activities through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
Major Tasks and Activities:
You must be fully aware of and adhere to Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
You will ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope, Supervise engineers/technical specialists, Promote effective co-operation across Engineering and other functional teams and ensure effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
You will also:
- Ensure technical management of the engineering output to ensure delivery of technical solutions in line with agreed technical scope
- Produce, review, verify and approve outputs including: calculations, analyses, technical reports, technical specifications and method statements
- Ensure that adequate review, verification and approval is undertaken on all their deliverables and for those under their direct control and supervision
- Ensure that procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities,
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
- Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of assigned work scopes and ensure project and technical audits and review are planned & executed in order to impart learning and experience as appropriate and in line with agreed standards
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
You should have an engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience, Chartered Engineer status, Demonstrable experience in managing teams to deliver analysis activities on a range of project types, Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities and excellent communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
You should be a member of a relevant institute or have significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council, Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) and breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects
What else do I need to know?
- All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
About Cavendish Nuclear
Cavendish Nuclear is the UK's leading nuclear services company, with a highly-skilled workforce and a growing international presence. Our people innovate to make nuclear safer, faster, at lower cost across all aspects of the nuclear energy lifecycle.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face.
Babcock are continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to ensure that this is done in a responsible way with consideration of the unprecedented circumstances we are facing.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.