My client based in the St Helens Knowsley area are looking for an experienced Payroll Officer.
- Ensure all requests for payroll processing are fully completed and authorised before actioning and return to the client immediately if not
- Support the Payroll Team Leader in the day to day planning and co-ordination of workload within client accounts to ensure achievement of payroll deadlines across the team
- Process payroll and salary sacrifice as per client SLAs, ESR best practice instructions, internal Standard Operating Procedures and any relevant policies.
- Make accurate and authorised payments, promptly and courteously resolving any queries.
- Maintain payroll-related records including Income Tax, National Insurance, Pensions, Occupational and Statutory Sick and Maternity /Paternity Pay, Adoption leave and Family Tax Credits and any other relevant payments or deductions.
- Process manual calculations, following internal SOP, based on the above as required including but not limited to tax calculations and net overpayment etc.
- Address escalated queries from Payroll Administrators.
- Applying and adhering to processes and terms and conditions, and identifying any anomalies outside of standard process, referring any unknown or ambiguous areas to the Payroll Team Leader.
- Upload data files as per SOP into ESR escalating any issues to the Payroll Team Leader
- Support the Payroll Team Leader in the production of payroll reports as part of the end to end payroll processing in accordance with relevant SOP and checklist instructions
- Process appropriate reports, schedules and documents and distribute as required
- Identify and investigate discrepancies, unusual features or queries at any point in the payroll process and either resolve or refer to the appropriate team member for action if required.
- Validate all output from the payroll process to ensure all payments have been paid correctly.
- Make systematic checks of permanent and temporary changes in accordance with the payroll procedures and undertake periodic ad-hoc quality assurance checks at the direction of the Payroll Team Leader.
- Support the Payroll Team Leader as required to enable the reconciliation of the payroll control accounts and pay advances.
- Support the Payroll Team Leader in end of year/start of year actions. Ensure compliance with submission of year-end returns including production and distribution of P11Ds and associated end of year returns.
- Ensure all documentation is filed in accordance with departmental procedures and that stored material is readily retrievable to respond to queries and for audit purposes.
- Be fully conversant with the effective utilisation of the payroll system, including data entry, system navigation and report generation.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of information at all times in accordance with GDPR and internal Information Governance protocols
- Provide information and if appropriate, advice on all matters related to pay, service conditions and the NHS Pension Scheme, accurately, promptly and courteously.
- Ensure payroll information is clearly explained when dealing with clients and ensure queries are handled courteously and confidentially within agreed departmental standards and response times.
- Respond promptly and courteously to all correspondence and enquiries from individuals, statutory bodies and requests for information from banks, building societies, or other appropriate organisations
- Attend meeting with client accounts as required.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with client accounts, other individuals of the directorate, other officers of the Trust, colleagues from the NHS Executive, Pension Agency and officers from other agencies to ensure the delivery of a professional service focused on achieving a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Effectively liaise with Finance colleagues on all matters relating to the payroll function.
- Participate effectively and promptly in the provision and analysis of accurate financial, statistical and management information.
- As required undertake additional administrative and other duties commensurate with your grade to meet the reasonable needs of the client, as determined by departmental management.
- Provide on-going contributions and make recommendations to management for improvements and developments in the payroll systems and procedures.
- Support the Payroll Team Leader by ensuring that any new procedures or policies are implemented within the team
CLINICAL & PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all legal requirements, including the General Data Protection Regulations and Freedom of information requests.
- Develop skills and competencies of self through training and development activities, ensuring that progress is maintained, and future needs identified and actioned.
- Maintain own compliance with the Trusts mandatory and statutory training requirements
SUPERVISION AND TRAINING
- Provide day to day supervision of designated Payroll Administrators.
- As required, allocate work to the Payroll Administrators, monitoring progress and accuracy, ensuring all payroll deadlines are met. Inform any issues immediately to Payroll Team Leader.
- Support Payroll Team Leader by providing payroll training to new/less experienced staff
Monday to Friday role - 09:00am - 17:00pm
Minimum 12 months assignment
Salary dependant upon experience
Please apply with your CV attached if you are interested in this role