Senior Engineer (Major Infrastructure Projects)
Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
Starting Salary: £43,445+
About the role
Here at Babcock, we are looking for Senior Engineer to join our Secondary Facilities Team at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We are a key strategic partner to our customers the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes.
A significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site to meet the needs of the future MOD ship and submarine programmes. A new 'Major Infrastructure Projects' (MIP) Business Unit has been established to focus on the large-scale facility developments needed. In addition to the key docking and berthing Primary facilities, there are a number of secondary facilities essential to the future success of the site.
As the Senior Engineer, you will support the Design Manager to deliver Systems Engineering work packages across Secondary Facilities. You will be responsible for:
- Leading and managing one or more technical design packages, agreeing project related objectives and managing designer performance
- Interfacing with the various MIP design teams to provide Facilities services, systems and also infrastructure supporting their facilities from the site wide systems
- Supporting development of the published User Requirements by translating them into candidate System Requirements for the Start Up phase (and beyond) of the projects. This will inform the manageable work package for outsourced design teams.
- Planning for effective project implementation and ensuring that design documentation covers the required scope of operations and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
What do I need to do the role?
You will be Degree qualified in an engineering discipline and registered as, or working towards, Chartered Engineer status. HND and industry experience will be considered.
As the Senior Engineer, you must be able to demonstrate:
- Relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle in a systems engineering environment
- Experience of the design support to construction and operation of conventional and nuclear facilities
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice and ability to advise/supervise sub-contracted design house support
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
What else do I need to know?
- You will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This will require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) Security Clearance.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It is why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work. Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we are compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way, which reflects the restrictions we face.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you have completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs. This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. To find out more please visit our website.