An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our Global FMCG Client, the powerhouse behind Persil, Comfort, Surf and Ben & Jerry's, are currently seeking a Formulation Scientist, based at their deodorant research & development facility in Seacroft, Leeds. This is a full-time temporary role for 12 months, 37.5 hour week, paying between £26,400 - £29,700 per annum pro rata, depending on experience.
Unfortunately we cannot consider candidates who have a notice period longer than 1 month to serve.
The Deodorant Category has had many years of significant growth, based on category leading innovation and consumer preferred mixes across its global brands: Rexona, Axe and Dove. Growth through innovation is at the heart of the Deodorants Strategy. Our client is the biggest player in the global Deodorants market and is determined to set the agenda for this category.
This job is based in the formulation development function within the Global Category Design Centre. You will work to deliver relevant technologies to the brand as well as supporting the deodorant formulation strategy.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
This job focuses on the development of leading edges formulations and technologies on specific applicator to deliver new products for global rollout through working with the formulation and research teams and also external suppliers.
Key Challenges of the job:
- Taking responsibility for delivering new formulations for global innovation projects on specific applicator.
- Support capability managers to build formulation applicator capability working with external parties.
- High level of technical input at both theoretical and practical levels.
- Lead a formulation work-stream within a medium project to deliver a new formulation on specific applicator or/and multiple formulation streams in smaller projects. Communicate updates to the project team and to the global formulation community making recommendations.
- Support capability manager in the delivery of formulation applicator capability strategy by managing specific areas of new technology development. This involves working with suppliers/third parties, URPS, SEAC; scouting for technical ideas/solutions; setting up relevant confidential agreements when required and contributing to the patenting process of any new technology breakthroughs.
- Creates formulations to meet consumer needs by manufacturing and testing new and existing formulations and using technical expertise to solve specific issues related to new ingredients, ingredients interactions, physical properties, stability and processing.
- Actively monitors competitor launches specific to applicator area and through formulation expertise to understand implications for products/ brands and to generate support for claim/patent challenges.
- Have recognisable expertise in a specific formulation type providing technical support and/or answering queries to the formulation team, internal cross-functional teams and Regional Deploy Centres.
- Support technical project leader on general project management activities leading some of them such as claim substantiation and technical specifications.
- Responsible for co-ordinating and implementing appropriate technical training to facilitate development and understanding on specific applicator within the formulation team and when necessary across functional teams.
- Accountable for ensuring that the lab operates to world class standards by Supervising and supporting a laboratory core team, implementing the appropriate systems and continuously improving ways of working.
- Using specialised technical knowledge and rigour to develop new protocols and characterisation techniques and to identify new equipment requirements on specific applicator.
- Manage day-to-day activities of laboratory assistant and/or team student/temps.
- Graduate calibre, Education, preferably degree level in relevant science or engineering discipline.
- In-depth knowledge of formulation techniques gained in FMCG or cosmetic care.
- Working within and managing a formulation laboratory with good working knowledge of COSHH and risk assessment.
- Some packaging and processing knowledge would be an advantage.