Senior Marine Structures Engineer
Based from Bristol or Plymouth
£43,445 - £48,770 dependent on experience
About the role
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme, as well as, providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK.
As the Senior Marine Structures Engineer, you will be part of the Marine Structures team, which supports a wide range of engineering projects throughout all phases of the design lifecycle. You will support Royal Navy's submarines and surface ships - equipment, seatings, hull, decks, bulk heads, super structures, in addition to ships dockings and determining docking loads.
- Design and substantiation of Category A and B seatings and foundations to meet military and commercial requirements;
- Determination of scantlings to classification societies' rules and regulations and the development of scantlings plans;
- Dockyard support e.g. resolution of manufacturing and installation issues, lifting and turning of plant/equipment/build units and structural repairs;
- Preparation and production of technical reports and substantiation calculations;
- Liaise with design teams, production teams, classification society representatives and other stakeholders (including supporting design reviews);
- Contribute towards the development of innovative design solutions and processes;
- Contribute towards the implementation of health, safety and environmental requirements;
- Contribute towards the maintenance and improvement in quantity standards of outputs.
This will be a fantastic opportunity to join a team of like-minded Engineers and support on our high profile projects. As well as working for the UK's leading naval support business, we will also provide you with all the training, support and benefits that you would expect from a global company.
What do I need to do the role?
You will have experience in structural engineering with naval marine related design experience being advantageous, equivalently civil structures or aerospace will be considered.
You will need demonstrable experience in structural engineering and using Finite Element (FEA) Analysis. You will have demonstrable experience of using 2D & 3D CAD packages, experience with working with production teams as well as good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ideally Degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in naval architecture, marine engineering, mechanical engineering or civil engineering (extensive experience in relevant field will be considered);
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. RINA, IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold, or working towards, Incorporated or Chartered status;
- Either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve UK SC clearance.
What else do I need to know?
You will work 36 hours per week Monday to Friday with flexible working and you must be able to achieve the appropriate level of Security Clearance.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We are committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You will benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. To find out more please check our career website.