An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our Global FMCG Client, the powerhouse behind Persil, Comfort, Surf and Ben & Jerry's, are currently seeking a Formulation Scientist, based at their deodorant research & development facility in Seacroft, Leeds. This is a full-time temporary role for 12 months, 37.5 hour week, paying between £22,400 - £25,200 per annum pro rata, depending on experience.
Unfortunately we cannot consider candidates who have a notice period longer than 1 month to serve.
The Deodorant Category has had many years of significant growth, based on category leading innovation and consumer preferred mixes across its global brands: Rexona, Axe and Dove. Growth through innovation is at the heart of the Deodorants Strategy. Unilever is the biggest player in the global Deodorants market and is determined to set the agenda for this category.
This job is based in the formulation development function within the Global Category Design Centre. You will work to deliver relevant technologies to the brand as well as supporting the deodorant formulation strategy.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
This role focuses on working with the Formulation team to cover all aspects of the development and testing of new deodorant Formulations for global/regional rollout.
Key Challenges of the role:
- Taking responsibility for planning and delivering the testing programme for projects ensuring all testing is completed in order to meet network timings.
- Addressing formulation issues as they arise for example fragrance and formulation instability.
- Working at a global level as the main formulation contact, dealing with technical queries from other areas of the business; GDC's, regions, marketing, SEAC, Supply chain.
- Be able to understand the functions of raw materials and their role within a formulation. Utilising product development experience to independently adapt and modify and develop new formulations as required; delivering into small/medium projects or into the work stream of a large project. Liaising with key suppliers as necessary in order to resolve any formulation issues and actively seek information to gain knowledge.
- Be able to formulate in autonomy to deliver certain aspects of technical projects by planning and executing technical testing, interpret results, prepare reports and communicate results/recommendations to the team.
- Provide supporting documentation and prototypes for both internal and external testing, including SEAC and consumer testing, ensuring safety clearance is acquired in advance of test.
- Carry out relevant quality control testing, to ensure products are fit for market/ consumer testing including specialist aerosol testing such as flammability's.
- Keep laboratory files/records, SOP's, risk assessments etc up to date for protecting intellectual property when reporting information. Reviews of documentation can be complex.
- Responsible for preparation of claims substantiation packages for small/medium projects with support and guidance from senior WL1's/WL2's.
- Design and implementation of new protocols/ laboratory testing techniques with guidance as necessary from senior WL1's.
- Effectively communicate with different functional areas of the business to ensure project timings are met. Attend and contribute to technical team meetings in all size projects or in a Core team of a small/medium project. This may involve inputting/ feeding into project execution documents with guidance from senior WL1's or WL2's.
- Actively participate in departmental initiatives, processes and maintain high standards of laboratory housekeeping and safety.
- Provide training and technical support for colleagues.
- Degree level in Chemistry preferable with some laboratory experience in formulation development.