Job Title: Obsolescence Management Lead, Submarine Support
Location: Merlin House, Bristol or Plymouth
Business Unit: Submarines
Overall Department Direction
The Ministry of Defence owns a fleet of 11 nuclear-powered submarines that are maintained with the support from Babcock as the MOD's in-service submarine support partner. Babcock's role includes the delivery of physical engineering activities at dockyards in Plymouth and Faslane, as well as providing the MOD in key support engineering activities in Bristol for current and future submarines. The support engineering outputs are delivered by Babcock's Submarine Support Engineering (SSE) Business Unit.
SSE's activities cover a range of areas, including Engineering and Design Services, Digital Solutions, Mission Systems, Programme Management and Supply Chain, which collectively ensure that submarine programme is achievable and that the required number of submarines will be available to the Royal Navy at all times.
Main Purpose of Role
The main purpose of this role is to identify, assess and manage the resolution of obsolescence issues in submarines.
The role will proactively identify & investigate obsolescence issues, and collate & maintain an obsolescence register that details obsolescence issues relating to Platform Systems Submarine Equipment across V, A and D Classes of Submarine. The role involves positively supporting various MOD teams in managing obsolescence (eg Equipment Delivery Teams, ISM Support Chain, and Submarine Production).
This shall be achieved by:
- Producing and maintaining a single register of reported submarine obsolescence issues.
- Undertaking initial verifications of the reported obsolescence issue and associated impact assessment.
- Assisting the MOD to identify potential solutions to obsolescence issues, and potential opportunities to enact the MOD's chosen solution
- Assisting the MOD in managing the Design Change process to enact the Authority's chosen solution
- Co-ordinating input to the MOD's Submarine Obsolescence Management from all elements of Babcock
- Support efforts to improve the end-to-end Submarine Obsolescence Management process
- Providing a report of obsolescence issues and attending the In-service Obsolescence Forums.
- Issuing an annual Obsolescence Management Plan for each Class, with platform specific appendixes
- Issuing Equipment Project Team Risk Assessment Reviews (equipments to be determined in conjunction with the Authority)
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences & Qualifications
* Engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience
* Chartered Engineer status (or actively working toward Chartered Status)
* Experience in working collaboratively in multi-discipline teams to deliver activities on a range of project types
* Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities
* Good communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
* Member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council
* Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
This position is within the Submarines business unit as a Grade 6 which has a starting salary of £43,445 with DRDL Terms and Conditions.
Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
This role is based at Devonport Royal Dockyard which is located in Plymouth, Devon in the south west of England.
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear you are required to make your current line manager aware that you're applying for this vacancy. You should advise them if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. The Marine Sector delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services. Ranging from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training delivered through unique owned and managed infrastructure to defence and civil customers across the globe.
Babcock International Group is committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fit your specific needs.
Business Area- Devonport
Babcock International Group owns and operates the main refit, maintenance and workshop area of the 330 acre naval site at Devonport, known as Devonport Royal Dockyard, where it employs thousands of people. The remainder of the site at Devonport is owned by the Ministry of Defence and is known as Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Devonport - one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe.
Closing date: 28/05/2021