Job Title: Semi-skilled operative
Help us make the world a safer place
We are looking for someone to collaborate with us on our transformation journey and make a positive impact on our business.
The difference the Semi-Skilled Operative will make
The successful individual will be working in a small but highly effective team where the highest of standards will be expected from both a technical and behavioural perspective.
Your key responsibilities will include physical movement of goods and products using Counter balance /Reach fork lift trucks and overhead gantry cranes, General Lifting and slinging activities following lift plans where applicable, Movement around site of plant, equipment and materials, including movement of irregular loads, General housekeeping duties e.g. sweeping up, emptying bins, lifting equipment, cleaning up spills, keeping all areas clean and tidy at all times ensuring a safe working environment, Banksman duties interacting with Hauliers and couriers, Working to rota and drumbeat of timely moves and labouring duties, Maintaining and updating all records as required, ensure that all documentation is returned to appropriate location, identify areas for improvement and report/discuss these with Team Leader.
You will ensure full familiarity and awareness of risk assessments and any H&S issues associated with the work and ensure full compliance with these requirements and participate as a full member of the team, offering help and assistance to other team members including training and inducting other team members as needed
Who we're looking for
You're someone for whom collaboration and working within a team partnership comes naturally. You will be a self-starter who wants to make a positive impact on a daily basis.
You should be in experienced in the use of Counter balance /Reach trucks and should be able to carry out lifting and slinging using overhead gantry cranes. We would also like you to have experience of working within fabrication environment in the defence industry (desirable but not essential).
Skills and attributes
You should be used to working to tight deadlines, able to work on your own initiative, experienced working safely within health and safety boundaries and a team player who can work in a close knit team
Education and qualifications
You will require Lifting and Slinging experience and associated qualification along with Counter balance/ Reach truck experience and associated qualification.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working
* Autonomy to perform the role.
* The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* Location: Ashchurch
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments.
Closing date: 22nd July 2021