Business Planning Manager
Business Unit: Base Services
Location: Plymouth, UK
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking to recruit a Business Planning Manager.
The department manages the repair and overhaul of ships and submarines, providing cost projections for the work needed (team of Estimators working to validate before going back to the customer).
The main purpose of your role is to ensure the required level of detail and accuracy is applied to the bidding of assigned projects / ITT's including general planning, technical reviews, sub-contract requirements, risk analysis & contract / bid reviews are appropriately applied. You'll ensure all jobs are planned to a suitable level with labour operations and a BoM at the bid stage where possible.
You'll be responsible for overseeing the process and questioning/challenging the customer, ensuring integrity to the parts that the team work on.
The role is very document based and is a uniform role (systematic and repetitive).
* Managing the assigned staff in the Business Planning Team to support estimating, forward planning, project and contract management & production control and to ensure all activities are efficiently and effectively carried out in accordance with Corporate Procedures and Contract Conditions.
* Help generate significant value by maintaining and further developing data to forecast future projects, resource and material requirements and work with the Programme Management team to ensure that adequate and appropriate capacity is in place when required.
* Interface regularly with customers on matters concerning quality, contract changes/variation, technical bid issues and instigate progress reviews to ensure that the respective documentation is raised at all stages of the process.
* Carrying out regular reviews of process maps and engineering procedures which will need to be maintained and developed in line with section / company / technical documents. The role also takes responsibility for the review and approval of 1st level document packs prior to equipment despatch.
* Manage the reportable data to support the operations of the business unit, quality assurance performance reporting, planning and management of audits to closure of actions.
* Manage the allocation of budgets and ensure planned labour, material and sub-contract costs are not exceeded (direct and indirect) for the department.
To be successful in this role you will need to build partnerships that last with our key customers, take responsibility for your part in making a difference, focus on the future, be optimistic about change and keen to learn and appreciate and integrate different perspectives and actively build an enjoyable and supportive culture.
What do I need to do the role?
You'll need a Quality type background (experience in introducing/ implementing quality systems to the shop floor and being able to manage this forwards) and you must have an understanding and knowledge in overhaul - ideally warships and submarine background.
Would also like you to hold experience in the following:
* Knowledge of LEAN management / Cost Savings
* Experience in line management
* Estimating work packages and retuning quotations in a timely and efficient manner
* Quality control of documentation
* Stakeholder management experience and ability to challenge processes and customer decisions
What else do I need to know?
* The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
All applications should be made online using PC, Laptop or Mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.
Closing date: 08/09/2021