Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide a full gardens and grounds maintenance support service to the College which includes artificial sports pitches, cricket squares, games playing surfaces, as well as general grounds, woodlands and formal gardens.
Monday-Friday 8.00 am - 5:00 pm in the summer months and 7.00 am to 4.00 pm in the winter months, inclusive of a one-hour unpaid lunch break each day. These times are approximate and may change. There may be a requirement for Saturday working to water plants etc.
Main Duties & Key Responsibilities:
* Member of the College Health and Safety Committee.
* Promotes clear and supportive Health and Safety practices including they creation of risk assessments.
* Maintains and implement improvement plans for ornamental lawns along with other grass areas within the college estate.
* Maintains and implement improvement plans for flowerbeds, including seasonal planting.
* Carries out soil cultivation; digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation and cultivation.
* Sweeps and clears leaves and debris etc. from lawns, paths, playgrounds, steps, pitches/playing fields, drains and gullies.
* Conduct woodland management liaising with contractors to implement works as required.
* Undertakes minor construction and landscaping work.
* Uses, adjusts and maintains hand tools and basic light machinery and plant in accordance with routine operating requirements to ensure optimal efficiency of safe use.
* Uses cylinder and rotary mowers, petrol based mechanical tools e.g. hedge cutter, strimmer, leaf blowers, as required to carry out ground's maintenance.
* Drives vehicles and equipment (including tractors) as required for grounds maintenance operations.
* Safe application of chemicals where required taking into account COSHH and Health and Safety regulations and with regard to weather and events.
* Liaising with staff to warn when applying chemicals and spraying.
* Ensures the safe use, storage and disposal of pesticides and other similar substances.
* Maintains a watching brief of, and reports any security risks posed within the College.
* Responds to emergency situations as necessary and appropriate.
* Keeps the grounds tool store clean and tidy.
* Identifies and recommends improvements to work systems, projects and machinery updates.
* Carries out gritting, salt spreading, snow cleaning, as necessary
* Maintains good communications with other staff, pupils and visitors, responding politely to any queries.
* Clean hard standing surfaces and keep the site free from litter.
* Supervision and support of the Apprentice to ensure completion of Apprenticeship programme.
* Along with other members of the facilities team be on rota for call out to deal with out of hours emergencies
* Attends Open Days to carry out allocated duties as required.
* Display correct staff identification at all times whilst on site.
* Attends training and staff INSET sessions organised by the College to provide a consistent approach across the entire staff population.
* Adhere at all times to Health & Safety legislation, and all departmental policies and procedures, to ensure the safety of self, colleagues, pupils, staff and visitors.
* To follow College Safeguarding and Child Protection policies
* To play a full part in the life of the College community to support its distinctive mission and ethos and to encourage staff and students to follow this example.
* To maintain up to date professional knowledge and personal, professional development
* Carries out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Estates Manager, Bursar and or Headmaster.
* NVQ2 or NVQ3 or other recognised equivalent qualification in Horticulture/Turf Maintenance or qualified by relevant experience * 2 years' minimum experience within sports turf or horticultural background * Proven track record for at least 2 years as an experienced grounds person * Award(s) in the Safe use of Pesticides Application Modules PA1 and PA6A * Experience working with a Synthetic Sports Training Facility * Manual Handling Techniques and Awareness Training * A valid UK driving licence is essential with D1
Physical & Working Environment
* Working outside in extremes of temperature
* Use of potentially dangerous chemicals and equipment
* Working at Height with ladders
* Heavy manual handling
* Due to the nature of the role, grounds staff are subject to a health assessment to ensure they are physically able to complete their duties
* Full time position, 52 weeks per annum
* Full time salary will be in the range £25,000 to £26,000 gross per annum dependent upon experience and qualifications
* Free lunch during term time
* Contributory Pension Scheme to which the College contributes 6%
* Free car parking on site
* Use of the College Fitness Suite outside of school hours
* Access to confidential 24-hour counselling helpline
* Child Care Vouchers
* Eye Care Vouchers
* Support with professional development