Assistant Project Manager
Bristol with flexible working
Defence Systems Technology (DST)
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking for someone dynamic, ambitious and eager to make a real impact in delivering the highly complex and strategic Dreadnought Submarine programme within Defence Systems Technology (DST).
The DST project management team of about 160 people helps teams deliver their goals, whether they are customer contracts or business improvements. Most of the team are based in Bristol, but you'll find project managers at most DST sites. This award-winning team successfully delivers complex projects worldwide, operating right across different functions, and at the heart of delivery teams working with customers.
As part of the Dreadnought Submarine programme, which is currently the largest programme in defence, you'll work with senior management and build cross business partnerships in delivering a number of complex systems on time, to budget and contracted quality for our customers.
Although this role is heavily involved within the Defence industry we welcome applications from all project management backgrounds. As well as working on some of the most high-profile projects we also offer a supportive work environment where innovation is at the heart of what we do.
Duties for this role include:
* Responsible on behalf of the Project manager for delivery of the project in accordance with the agreed Task Order Form (TOF)
* Use engineering Bill of Materials (BoM) to generate, maintain and communicate schedules (MSP or equivalent) that will fulfil scope
* To prepare or support Align project schedule with the Master Production Schedule (MPS) to confirm capacity
* Support delivery of project scope in accordance with HSE, quality and customer requirements
* Support overall cost management by collation of accurate estimates, forecast to complete and strong monitoring and control of spend
* Support the Project manager in the Identification, planning and control of risks and opportunities
* Implement the agreed governance arrangements for the delivery of the project
* Support good communication across all functions by creating a communication plan to support analysis of stakeholders and the planning and conduct of interactions to engage and communicate with them
* Report progress to the project community and production function on a weekly basis
What do I need to do the role?
You're someone who brings big ideas and solves complex problems with simple and elegant solutions. You're able to drive programme change and be adaptable in new environments. Additionally you continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, actively seek out different perspectives and speak up.
You will also need to have a relevant Project Management qualification such as APM or Prince 2 as well as having excellent listening and communication skills, with the ability to relate to, influence and support managers and employees at all levels of the organisation.
What else do I need to know?
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
About Babcock DST
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.
If you are currently employed by Babcock, please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.