Help us grow
The Mission Systems Solutions team responds to customer demand for bespoke and custom technical solutions, ranging from novel interface solutions up to full development of computer and network systems in domains such as:
* Command & Control and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
* Electronic Warfare and Signals Intelligence (SIGINT)
* Situational Awareness
* Communications Networks / Control Systems
The Solutions team holds technical ownership of a number of communications and intelligence products and supports the Business Development team by providing capability and proof of concept demonstrations to prospective customers. The team reaches in to the extensive technical and project resource within Mission Systems providing total support to projects throughout the development lifecycle.
The difference you will make
This growing Solutions team is recruiting for a Software Developer with strong experience in object-oriented Software Development, Computer Engineering and networks, to deliver novel solutions to our expanding current and prospective customer base. Reporting to the Information Systems Solutions Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of software development tasks in support of our product portfolio.
Tasking will include the development of bespoke interfaces to external systems, data proxies and simulation systems that will be used to present high-quality live demonstrations to our customers. You will be expected to take ownership of projects - planning, developing and presenting proof of concept solutions to customers with support from the wider team as required.
Who we're looking for
This is an excellent opportunity for a confident, skilled and experienced Software Engineer with extensive development expertise to move into a key role in a high-profile customer-delivery-focussed team.
You should have a solid background of object-oriented software development using either Microsoft .Net Framework (C#) and/or Python is essential for this role. You will also require experience of development of systems utilising technologies such as HTTP REST, XML, JSON; Databases such as SQLite, PostgreSQL. Familiar with using and creating APIs, experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and working knowledge of TCP/IP networking including development for data exchange and transmission.
We would also like you to have experience of the following:
* Sound fundamental knowledge of IP Network and System architecture design, Database architectures, Active Directory, Group Policy, Virtualisation technologies and Serial Communications is also highly desirable.
* Hardware integration and configuration - for example integration of communications hardware (modems, radio receivers, cryptographic equipment), Proposing IT hardware such as servers, workstations, storage. A knowledge and understanding of defence and government communications networks would be advantageous but not essential.
* Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering, fundamentals of RF, signals test and measurement. RF hardware (signal generation, spectral analysis) would be beneficial for some projects, although not essential for the role.
Skills and attributes
We are looking for someone with a positive "can-do" attitude - this role is about timely delivery of solutions, not just about identifying problems! A willingness to think outside of the box and propose innovative solutions based on new technologies is essential. You will need a confident ability to lead small delivery teams in addressing and presenting to customers and colleagues, but also the self-motivation to work independently where required and a drive to deliver results on time, meeting cost and quality targets, taking ownership of problems / issues whilst working diligently towards a resolution.
Education and Qualifications
You will require a relevant Engineering or IT qualification such as a degree, foundation degree or HND alongside Chartered or Incorporated status with a Professional Body such as The IET or British Computing Society. Alternatively, Membership and evidence of working towards Chartered or Incorporated status.
Due to the sensitive nature of some of our existing and target projects the successful candidate will be expected to obtain and maintain a Developed Vetting (DV) security clearance.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working and flexible locations - we give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met
* Opportunity to work with new technology
* Growth opportunities and potential to develop skills and develop your career.
* Opportunities to travel within the UK and internationally
* Autonomy to perform the role
* To work on some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer
* Excellent development opportunities and benefits package
* The honour and responsibility of equipping our armed forces
* A relocation package for an outstanding candidate outside of the region
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help MS to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, MS employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* Location: Ashchurch (with some home working)
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here..