Help us make the world a safer place
We are looking for an energetic, innovative and collaborative individual to lead technical activity in the Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance (ISR) domain of our business and deliver outstanding capability to our customer. You will take on the role of Principal Systems Engineer for ISR capability on an exciting defence project that delivers an outstanding capability and service to the UK Ministry of Defence.
The difference the Principal Systems Engineer will make
At Babcock we are driven to delight our customers and ensure their mission is a success. To achieve this you will own all Engineering output and ensure quality of our offering through the implementation of a robust Systems Engineering approach.
Backed up by a team of wide-ranging disciplines you will assume the lead architect role for the project, managing requirements for new tasking and ensuring appropriate solutions are designed and implemented that can be tested and validated to meet our customers' expectations.
For In-Service Support aspects of the project you will work closely with the Systems Engineering team as well as other disciplines such as Field Engineering, Integrated Logistics Support, Project Management and Supply Chain to ensure that the capability we deliver is well-supported in service. This includes the provision of engineering fixes to emergent problems, particularly where a design change may be required.
The in-service capability is tied closely to a technology roadmap and mid-life design changes are often implemented to ensure alignment with the wider defence community. You will be responsible for liaison with the large stakeholder community to ensure smooth implementation of these updates with minimal impact to the delivered service.
Who we're looking for
Significant engagement with the customer team and wider ISR community is a key part of the role so you will be someone for whom collaboration and working in partnership comes naturally. You will have the ability to confidently take a leading role in a technical team that often can span multiple disciplines, organisations, agencies and customers.
Your strong collaborative nature must be underpinned by substantial Engineering capability and experience. You will be the driving force behind capturing the technical requirement and delivering the right solution.
There are excellent growth opportunities on this contract and our customer enjoys the new and innovative ideas that we bring to the table. You will be innovative, bringing big ideas and solving complex problems with simple and elegant solutions.
We're committed to building an enjoyable and supportive culture for everyone, and we're looking for someone who actively seeks out and values different perspectives.
You will have an extensive background in Systems Engineering, particularly Leading and Managing SE activities on a project in accordance with ISO15288. You will use this background to deliver outstanding Engineering to our customers, so a strong Systems Engineering Management background is essential.
Ideally you will have experience working and delivering in a defence environment, confidently delivering and supporting C4ISR systems across the lifecycle. Knowledge of the MoD procurement process, including the CADMID lifecycle is highly desirable, as is a strong domain knowledge in one of the following areas:
* Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance (ISR), SIGINT, GEOINT, IMINT
* Military communications and networks
* Electronic Warfare systems
* Command and Control systems
Education and Qualifications
* A degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
* Systems Engineering certifications or qualifications.
* Chartered Engineer status with a relevant professional body or have a demonstrable plan to achieve within a defined timescale.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working and flexible locations - we give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met
* Opportunity to work with new technology
* Growth opportunities and potential to develop skills and develop your career.
* Opportunities to travel within the UK and internationally
* Autonomy to perform the role
* To work on some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer
* Excellent development opportunities and benefits package
* The honour and responsibility of equipping our armed forces
* A relocation package for an outstanding candidate outside of the region
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It's a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Commercial team, embedded in bid and project teams are responsible for constructing and negotiating, contracts to provide a customer focussed commercial solution for bids, contract execution and growth that protect the business from excessive risk whilst maximising cash, margin and protecting intellectual property. We value employees that can combine business acumen, contract knowledge and a team, can do approach.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.