Make a real impact, immediately
We're looking for a driven, results oriented and solution focussed Senior Systems Super User to join our newly established team.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems Super User to join Information Systems and to work collaboratively with defence partners on some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer. This role is involved with a design, build and deliver project of national importance within a healthy growing business that is consistently achieving significant annual growth by protecting existing interests, adapting to changing defence landscape and growing into new markets by embracing new technology.
The Programme sits within Babcock Mission Systems. The Project covers the design, installation and in service support of a niche capability within Defence. This is a relatively new system that has been in service for the last year. The deliverable hardware is manufactured by Defence partners and will be managed by our established supply chain.
An initial team of Project Manager, Super User and System Engineer will be required to deliver this capability into the Royal Navy.
The difference our new Senior Systems Super User will make
Reporting to the Information Systems Principal Systems Engineer you will be responsible for leading a small team of Systems Engineers, within a multi discipline team, delivering new capability into the Royal Navy. Your duties will include:-
* Managing the Authorities Test Facility and all associated engineering activities associated with a comprehensive statement of work. This will include but not be limited to software updates and system upgrades.
* Providing frontline support to defects, OPDEFs and S2022 investigations and reporting.
* Documenting Updates (Tech pubs, ICDs, IETM, etc)
* Software patching on Test facility systems and platforms
* Participation in all Platform update and Test Facility upgrade meetings
* Testing the Test Facility system updates and upgrades to ensure fit & functionality prior to platform rollout
* Supporting Maintainer/Operator training on an Ad-Hoc basis
* Providing Project and Engineering support to the PM and SE as and when required
* Technical management of sub-contractors
* Royal Navy Platform visits to undertake activities such as installations, hardware changes, set to work, system trials and calibrations.
As a member of the Information Systems Leadership Team, additional responsibilities include:
* Engagement in programme wide initiatives to improve delivery, cost and quality performance together with the working experience of team members across the programme.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a high calibre System Super User Engineer with demonstrable expertise in the delivery of high integrity engineered products. You will be used to frequent interaction with Defence Partners and key stakeholders, utilising your strong communication, relationship building and team playing capability. Most importantly, your motivation, drive and passion for managing and delivering successful project outcomes will win the hearts and minds of customers and colleagues alike.
You will have considerable System Engineering experience in a setting of comparable complexity and requiring a similar set of transferrable skills.
Skills and attributes
* Excellent interpersonal skills - communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels and with external bodies
* Outstanding communication, presentation and relationship building capability
* Results focused
* Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
* Problem Analysis - able to identify problems and seek relevant data to resolve them
* Initiative - actively influence and act on opportunities
* Resilience - maintain effectiveness in challenging situations
* Tenacity - ability to remain with a problem until resolved
Education and qualifications
Ideally you will be a degree qualified, chartered engineer or working towards chartered status within a recognised and relevant professional body. Alternatively you may hold an HNC in a relevant engineering discipline in concert with significant and demonstrable subject matter expertise in the system domain.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Opportunity to work with new technology
* Potential to develop skills
* A dynamic and updated working environment
* Autonomy to perform the role
* To work on some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer
* Excellent development opportunities and benefits package
* The honour and responsibility of equipping our armed forces
* Opportunities to develop your career
* Opportunities to travel within the UK and Internationally
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It's a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Commercial team, embedded in bid and project teams are responsible for constructing and negotiating, contracts to provide a customer focussed commercial solution for bids, contract execution and growth that protect the business from excessive risk whilst maximising cash, margin and protecting intellectual property. We value employees that can combine business acumen, contract knowledge and a team, can do approach.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.