Principal Mechanical Engineer
Energy & Marine
Overall Department Direction
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects.
Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK. We are recruiting staff in all disciplines, to join us at Bristol, Devonport or Rosyth with flexible working arrangements and UK travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
We are looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the team from Rosyth. This role is within complex shipbuilding, to support Babcock's current and future ship design and build programmes, including future export variants and other shipbuilding and refit opportunities in the pipeline.
As the Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will provide leadership in the delivery of engineering and technical activities through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
- Ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope.
- Ensure effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
- Ensure technical management of the engineering output to ensure delivery of technical solutions in line with agreed technical scope.
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours.
- Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of future workload and coach and mentor members of the team
- Ensure project, technical audits and reviews are planned and executed, in order to impart learning and experience, as appropriate, and in line with agreed standards.
- Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, provide leadership, and assist in driving cultural development and change.
- Support business development opportunities in raising the Babcock profile via presentations, academic links, conferences & technical papers, and identify opportunities and new work streams.
- Promote effective cooperation across Engineering and other functional teams
In addition, you will belong to the overall E&M Engineering Design Team, which comprises all facets engineering and naval architecture comprising new build and upkeep of existing RN and commercial vessels. There will be a multitude of further opportunities to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on expanding your longer-term career development.
What do I need to do the role?
The Principal Engineer is required to have a high level of developed knowledge, the role is directly accountable for design development, and determines solutions to problems and issues within their specialist subject area. In addition, provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
- Chartered Engineer with relevant discipline or working towards
- Ideally Degree qualified in Engineering but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We are committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme.
All applications should be made online. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments please let us know.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. To find out more please check our career website.