Job Title: Operational Services Health Physicist
Location: Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL1 4SG
Compensation: £37,165 - £45,835 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time, Permanent
Job ID: SF33784
The Health Physics Operations Group (HPOG) ensure the radiological safety of everyone that is set to work on radiologically implicated tasks.
You'll be primarily responsible for the implementation and management of the Radiological Protection arrangements within radiological controlled areas on-board nuclear powered submarines, and within other associated facilities in accordance with current legislation and company policy.
Who we are looking for?
You'll need to be an Operational Health Physics and Radiation Practitioner, have management experience (Procurement, servicing and distributing) and strong attention to detail as you will be buying new instruments, maintaining levels, dealing with technical issues/queries and carrying out surveys and environmental checks.
What will you be doing?
* Ensuring the radiological safety of everyone that is set to work on radiologically implicated tasks is the department goal.
* Provision of expert professional practitioner radiological safety advice and direction to all persons involved in work with ionising radiation.
* Manage and provide Radiological Protection direction to the permanent continuous critical radiological protection service in direct support to the submarine support business unit work programmes (platform and facilities) ensuring legislative compliance (e.g. IRR17, EPR16 etc.) and support to the MOD's (onsite and offsite) and the company's nuclear and
* radiological emergency arrangements (LC/AC 11).
* Translate radiological protection policy into Company Business Management System documentation, in particular oversee and implement development, review and maintenance of Safety Orders Radiation Protection (SORPs) and related supporting documents, processes etc.
* Manage and measure the success of the implementation of corporate policy detailed above.
The experience you'll bring
* Operational Health Physics and Radiation Protection practitioner experience (with submarine Nuclear Steam Raising Plant or equivalent) would be highly advantageous.
* Ability to think independently to identify trends, behaviours and insights that could improve safety performance;
* Skill and tenacity to deliver complex and occasionally unwelcome messages under possible challenging situations.
* You will have studied a relevant Science Degree
* Radiation Protection Post Graduate Diploma (e.g. PgGDip(RP), MSc) or equivalent
* You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.