Principal Engineer - Nuclear Process
Plymouth, UK, PL1 4SG
Compensation: £50,150 - £56,665 (DOE) + Pension (up to 8% matched) + 25 Days Holiday
Full Time/Permanent Position
At Babcock's Nuclear Licensed Site in Devonport, the Facilities Engineering Design Authority are responsible for maintaining and managing changes to the design intent of nuclear implicated assets and equipment that support the upkeep of the Royal Navy's fleet of submarines. The Nuclear Process Group provide this function for process/pressure systems that interface with ships' nuclear steam raising plant and receive, store, transport and treat radioactive effluent. The group comprises Mechanical and Chemical Engineers from a variety of backgrounds and is looking to grow with the addition of a Principal Engineer.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Principal Engineer with experience of leading teams in the delivery of a technical function in a highly regulated engineering industry. You'll be agile and responsive to changing needs, forward thinking and willing to embrace opportunities to learn while inspiring others to grow in line with business needs. You'll be a problem solver and someone who always aims to deliver to the highest standard, never compromising on health and safety.
What will you be doing?
As a Principal Engineer, you will play a vital role in the delivery of the Nuclear Process Group's function to the business. Your responsibilities will include:
* Leading activities throughout the design lifecycle, acting as technical approver of documentation
* Leading the provision of technical support, guidance and advice to facility owners, operators and maintainers
* Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date suite of reference design documentation for assets under your authority
* Ensuring that statutory UK legislative requirements are embodied into engineering systems and that those systems and safe to use and fit for purpose
* Planning, producing work schedules and managing priorities in agreement with key stakeholders
* Managing the growth and development of Engineers in the Group, ensuring capabilities are maintained in line with current and future demand
The experience you'll bring
You will need demonstrable experience of having led a technical team in a relevant engineering industry.
You will also need:
- Knowledge and understanding of mechanical engineering principles for the design, operation and maintenance of pressure/pipework systems
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant codes, standards and legislation
- Experience of engineering project specification, planning, budgeting and delivery
- Experience in the use of engineering software packages
- A degree in a relevant engineering subject
Lastly, a professional membership with an engineering institution would be beneficial.
What a role with Babcock offers
* 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
* Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
* Employee Share plan
* Autonomy - trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
* The role will be a mixture of office-based work and time on-site.
We also support flexible working such as home working when this can be supported in terms of project/business need. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face.
To find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants please visit our website.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.
Closing Date: 6th December 2021