Job Title: Design Manager
Compensation: £44,205 - £55,665 (DOE) + pension (up to 8% matched) + 25 days holiday + the potential for relocation allowance.
Role Type: Permanent, full time
Job ID: SF38690
Here at Babcock, we are a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes. We apply our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security. The Facilities Engineering Technical Authority sits within Engineering and Technology Services and provides key analysis, advice and engineering outputs to the Facility Design Authorities for both Nuclear and Non-Nuclear facilities within HMNB Devonport. The provision of safe, available and capable facilities is at the heart of what we do, and without these services the delivery of the submarine and warship upkeep programmes would not be possible.
Who we are looking for?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a developing part of the business undergoing significant transformation to support the Devonport Facilities requirements of the Future Maritime Support Programme. Due to the regulatory framework in which we work, the application of Babcock's Business Management System is key. We are looking for people to operate at both Principal and Senior Design Manager levels.
What will you be doing?
- Responsible for scoping and managing the technical delivery of projects throughout their lifecycle, acting as the Technical Authority single point of contact.
- Secure, organise and lead internal and external resources as the project demands.
- Ensure that design outputs are fit for purpose and delivered within agreed budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Develop and apply a structured design process in a proportionate manner that reflects conventional and nuclear facility applications.
The experience you'll bring
- You will hold a Degree in a STEM subject (or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience).
- Registered as a Chartered/Incorporated Engineer. If not registered then you should be able to evidence that you are working towards this, along with holding membership of a relevant professional institution.
- Have a strong technical background and demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills due to the levels of stakeholder management required by the role.
- Sound understanding of designing and substantiating solutions for safety-critical applications, gained ideally from the nuclear or other regulated industry.
- Experience of the design lifecycle and a logical approach to problem solving.
- The successful candidate will need hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
- 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
- Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
- Employee Share plan
- Autonomy - trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our careers site to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.