Capture & Business Winning Manager
Location - Bristol
Make a real impact, immediately
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious Capture & Business Winning Manager to lead our small high performing team of multidisciplinary experts who are focussed on delivering our ambitious growth targets. You will work in the Communication Systems & Critical Assets (C&CA) organisation as part of Babcock Mission systems. You will lead pursuits within our existing strategic radio and maritime comms business in addition to our future growth plans within adjacent markets such as Land tactical and commercial communications deployments.
The difference our new Capture & Business Winning Manager will make
Babcock Mission Systems is transforming and we need you to support the drive for growth beyond our current managed services and projects. You will both collaborate and lead the capture and business winning processes through exciting, and challenging cutting edge projects. You will contribute, playing a key role in growing our strategic communications customer base and develop our tactical communications portfolio.
This is a significant leadership role and will demand the highest levels of personal commitment and leadership alongside solid, demonstrable experience across all levels and complexities of strategic campaign management, business capture, customer and stakeholder Account management.
You will be required to secure new "key" supplier relationships with the aim of increasing our ability to win new business and therefore support both organic business growth from the current portfolio of programmes alongside new markets. Whilst strategic pursuits will be the primary focus of this role, supporting our organic growth business will also be required. This element will require co-ordination across all our Operational delivery teams and matrix capabilities, driving the transition of both future and business strategic opportunities into tangible campaign plans and executable bids. This "day to day" delivery will need to be balanced alongside the pursuit of "new market" opportunities to ensure we also diversify and continue to strengthen the business.
In addition the position will promote C&CA capabilities, leading and developing key relationships, both with our extant Customers and with our potential Industry partners in support of challenging business growth targets. The focus will be on both maintaining and then building collaborative partnerships, promoting our extensive portfolio of capability from across the company. A key element will be working with new Suppliers and SME in order to develop the strength and depth of our offering, to successfully penetrate new markets, win pursuits and grow the future business. Your responsibilities will include:
* Delivery of strategic business growth within the C&CA business, through the pro-active pursuit of competitive opportunities across the portfolio
* Actively support both internal (Organic) business growth and smaller adjacent and external "new" market opportunities, ensuring coherence with functional resources, Business development and Strategy
* In co-operation with the HOB, develop and deliver a clear strategic campaign strategy to target business opportunities, leveraging C&CA and wider Babcock capability and expertise, promoting a diversified portfolio, providing a quantitative contribution to Mission Systems Business growth and strategy development
* Provide guidance through experience to Business development, Senior Operational Delivery managers and project managers across the business stream
* Liaison and co-operation with the Bid teams / Business development and account managers working within the other business streams in Mission Systems
* Developing and presenting governance documentation at relevant gates to senior management
* Development of new business budgeting / financing plans
* Oversight of discrete campaign elements of the C&CA R&D programme
What do I need to do the role?
You're someone who brings big ideas and solves complex problems with simple and elegant solutions.
You continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, actively seek out different perspectives and speak up. We'll need you to collaborate, make a positive impact each day and be particularly focussed on achieving and delight our customers by providing disruptive, innovative and ambitious proposals.
* A working knowledge of the defence industry and in particular military or commercial telecommunication systems will be a real advantage.
* Relevant experience of developing proposal material, managing resources, co-ordinating with Business development and strategy functions, ensuring successful bid delivery and subsequent transition into Service will all be an advantage.
* A solid grasp of engineering principles alongside the strong foundation of demonstrable Customer facing skills at all levels (including @ MD level and above) is a priority.
* Experience in Business capture, solution development and business winning with demonstrable success in previous roles
* Demonstrate an understanding of key MOD opportunities within the Land & Maritime environment(s)
* Experience and credibility working across Tri Service UK MOD, International markets and ideally civilian industry sectors would be advantageous
In addition, at this level of seniority the position will also be a key part of the wider Secure Communications business management team and play an increasingly active role in its ongoing governance and strategic development. The primary aim will be to grow the Secure Communications business stream supporting the growth objectives and targets for Babcock Mission Systems.
Skills and attributes
* Commercially astute, driven and with personal gravitas to lead on developing winning business solutions to some of our key strategic pursuits
* Strong presentation skills
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Problem solving, agility, lateral thinking
* Interpersonal and collaborative skills
You will be able to demonstrate that you are a critical thinker able to be innovative in your approach and thinking and able to work at pace balancing multiple priorities concurrently. Collaboration, adaptability and inclusion are key to the success of Mission Systems and these will be core attributes of all the members of our C&CA engineering team.
Education and qualifications
* A Bachelors Degree in a relevant Business or Engineering discipline or equivalent relevant professional experience
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working (full or part time considered, minimum 30 hours per week)
* Autonomy to perform the role
* The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Scheme
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It's a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Critical Communications Business Unit is over 200 personnel strong with in excess of 70% skilled Engineering staff. We have an ever increasing portfolio of opportunities and an ambition for success and to grow. We also embrace the multitude of internal employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within our Babcock team, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties, please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.
Babcock International Group
For more than a century, Babcock has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within four market sectors; Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear. We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Closing date: 7th January 2021