Business Development Director
Business Unit: Cavendish Nuclear
Why choose Cavendish Nuclear
Our mission is simple and drives our behaviour in everything that we do: Cavendish Nuclear - people who innovate to deliver nuclear services safer, faster and at lower cost. We are proud to be the UK's leading supplier to the nuclear industry and a growing global force. From our inception during the earliest days of nuclear research and development, we recognised that a focus on people and the expertise they deliver is the key to meeting the challenges of this exciting technology.
We've been true to that ideal ever since and our approach has seen us bring together much of the UK's rich nuclear heritage, delivered through a highly skilled workforce of 5,000 nuclear qualified personnel, to create the innovative organisation you see today. The breadth of our expertise means we are able to offer unrivalled experience and specialist knowledge across all aspects of the nuclear energy lifecycle, from design and build, through operations and maintenance, to decommissioning, waste management and remediation.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of Babcock International Group, we are trusted to deliver the highest standards of safety, quality, security and environmental protection for our customers. Our business is supported by the three cornerstones of safety, people and performance - zero harm, one inclusive culture and 100% delivery on our promises.
We feel that Cavendish Nuclear offers an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference, here are some of the reasons to join:
- We live to the moto that 'this is not a rehearsal' and we play full out to achieve, deliver and have fun in doing so.
- It's all about our people, we are about creating strong and connected teams to collaborate with our customers and partners.
- We are taking on the challenge of sustainability and committed to our NetZero40 programme.
Main purpose of the role
You will be reporting to the Business Winning & International Director, will set the strategy and execution plan for all business development activities across Cavendish Nuclear. Working closely alongside the Business Unit Directors, you will lead a team of experienced and motivated Business Development Managers, each responsible for a portfolio of existing and new customers, to deliver growth in their areas in-line with our five year business plan.
You will focus on increasing sales by identifying, developing and exploiting business opportunities. This role also has the direct responsibility to undertake business development activities for the Defence Business across the nuclear enterprise (AWE, Rolls Royce Dockyards, DNO & SDA).
You must be able to build and nurture new and existing business relationships and be comfortable presenting Cavendish Nuclear's vision, strategy and value proposition to existing and potential customers.
- Responsible for effective planning and organisation of resources to deliver on account plans and business targets.
- Participate in setting the targets and achievement of business unit annual and five years business plan objectives and lead new business development efforts for the business.
- Coach and support staff members in the development of project and customer capture plans in the business winning team and the business units.
- Accountability to identify and develop future business growth opportunities for the Defence Business, while also assisting the Business Unit in protecting existing revenues.
- Lead the development of Capture Plans and Gate Packs (Gate 0-3) for all major opportunities identified in the pipeline for the Defence Business.
- To develop and maintain the Defence Business Stakeholder Management Plan.
- Management of the Defence account plan, which provides details of near term opportunities, and a 5-year plan. This document aims to provide a strategic roadmap with key milestones (short/medium/long) to monitor progress against. The account plan needs to be updated every 3 months to ensure up to date and accurate plan to follow
- Champion the use of the CRM system, Large Account Management Process (LAMP) and Opportunities Managements (Blue sheet/BMS) develop data integrity, reporting and decision-making standards that drive pipeline development and deal capture.
- Leverage data from CRM, Project Delivery, and other external sources to develop and maintain a Business Intelligence system (BI) for market guidance, insights and intelligent actions on various strategies.
What do I need to do the role?
- Significant senior level experience and will have a proven track record of successful business development, project development and delivery of profitable business growth, with an ability to build and maintain relationships with appropriate networks of people.
- Previous P&L experience and must be comfortable dealing with senior professionals across multiple disciplines ranging from engineering, procurement and construction through to business development, finance and administration.
- Knowledge of the end to end Business Winning process and management system but with particular emphasis on working experience of pre-bid phase.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Experience of pursuing and securing opportunities in the Nuclear Defence market including AWE, Dockyards, DNO & SDA, with a well-established customer network.
- Practical understanding and appreciation of key components underpinning an offer (schedule, supply-chain, risk, contract terms, cost and finance models) - although relevant business functional will normally complete these actual inputs on a bid.
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office and Adobe.
Minimum level of qualifications:
- You will have either a Chartered/Professional Engineer designation with a University degree in applied science or a related discipline or Masters' level qualifications in related fields
Closing date: 13th Jan 2022