Job Title: Health Physicist (Various grades)
Location: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth, United Kingdom, PL1 4SG
Compensation: £37,000 to £54,000
Role Type: Full time permanent
Job ID: SF37726
At Devonport Royal Dockyard Limited (DRDL), we have a number of exciting opportunities at different levels within the Health Physics Operations Group (HPOG) and Radiation Protection Technical Authority (RPTA) for Health Physicists. Our Health Physics teams support nuclear submarine maintenance programmes across what is a complex and dynamic site.
DRDL is currently embarking on a number of ambitious projects to deliver the major infrastructure required for us to be able to support future classes of UK nuclear submarines. We need Health Physicists with a diverse range of skills to help us support this delivery and ensure we continue to maintain our high standards of Radiation Protection into the future.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for forward-thinking Health Physicists with a range of skills and knowledge developed from working in operational or technical environments, with the ability to adapt and apply your Radiation Protection experience to our unique site. We want you to be able to liaise with a variety of stakeholders (at different organisational levels) and be flexible when dealing with changing priorities.
What will you be doing?
As a Health Physicist within either our HPOG or RPTA teams, you will play a vital role in:
* Provision of Radiation and Environmental Protection advice across our wider business
* Helping to ensure our compliance with statutory regulations, such as the Ionising Radiations Regulations and Environmental Permitting Regulations.
* Problem solving and generating solutions in response to emergent Radiation Protection emergent issues
* Training and development of Health Physics personnel
* Ensuring that we maintain a safe system of work through the generation, review and application of Radiation Risk Assessments
* Supporting the planning and design for future facilities/operations
The experience you'll bring
We will consider applicants from a range of operational and technical Health Physics backgrounds, including those who are new to the industry. However, the following experience and training would be beneficial:
* Chartered Radiation Protection Professional (CRadP) with the Society for Radiological Protection (SRP), or working towards this
* Science degree in Radiation Protection, or significant relevant Radiation Protection experience and either a Science, Engineering and Mathematics degree
* Provision of Health Physics advice in an operational environment
* Demonstrable technical/scientific writing experience
* Experience of Radiation Protection modelling software
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
* 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
* Agile working (including the opportunity to work from home)
* Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
* Employee Share plan
* Autonomy - trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Closing date: 18/01/22