Astute Project Manager
Make an impact, immediately
We are looking for an ambitious, innovative and brave individual to help us to continue our growth and success in supporting our customer in a critical stage of the Astute Class Submarine build. Lead the team as a project manager and start making things happen.
The difference our new Project Manager will make
This Mission Systems defence project is growing and requires a driven and experienced Project Manager (PM) to support the customer in ensuring they have the equipment and technical expertise to meet their schedule. Our new PM will lead the delivery of multiple Astute Class Submarine Weapon Handling System and Rudder and Hydroplane Actuator projects to the customer on time, to cost whilst maintaining demanding quality requirements. The PM will take responsibility and ownership for the day to day project management and work with the cross functional team which include; engineering, quality, supply chain, production, R&O, commercial and finance.
This role will provide the following responsibilities:
* Leading the delivery of multiple projects within differing stages of completion including; the closing of major projects, delivery of complex system equipment, quotation and delivery of repairs, maintaining customer support and bidding for new work across a range of scopes but within our expertise.
* Producing financial forecasts and maintain project delivery against them to achieve cash, revenue and profit targets.
* Delivering the project key milestones to customer requirements.
* Maintaining and developing both customer and supplier relationships.
* Bringing new work into the business by bidding on contracts within our expertise to maintain a combined growth of £1M per annum.
* Reporting on project status to senior stakeholders.
* Co-ordinating the cross functional team to resolve on-site issues to help maintain customer build programme.
* Collaborating with manufacturing, R&O and the supply chain to deliver required contracts.
* Managing risk and change to successfully deliver the contract.
* Using the team's knowledge and expertise to solve difficult problems, delighting the customer and meeting the project targets.
* Supporting weekly calls with the customer.
* Innovating to improve the way things are done in the team.
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a courageous individual who will continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, and speak up when we need to do better. This role requires someone for whom collaboration and working in partnership comes naturally. We're committed to building an enjoyable and supportive culture for everyone, and we're looking for someone who actively seeks out and values different perspectives.
* Significant experience of owning and managing projects with a track record of successful deliveries.
* Proven track record of excellent stakeholder management, customer relationship experience and experience of maximising the use of an ERP system.
* Strong commercial awareness with a good understanding of the business environment.
Skills and attributes
* An inclusive leader who has a passion for creating a great people experience and enabling a diverse and high performing culture. Someone who will delegate and hold people accountable appropriately, as well as to support, guide and coach.
* Excellent listening and communication skills, with the ability to relate to and influence managers and employees at all levels of the organisation.
* A self-starter, who is performance driven - with a desire to make significant contribution/impact. Is able to work independently and as an active team member and a leader.
* A critical thinker - who can understand complex issues (balancing the detail and the big picture), using insight/data (evidence) and their judgement to make good decisions and have a positive impact.
Education and qualifications
* Have the APM Practitioner Qualification (PQ) and is a Member of the Association for Project Management.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working (full or part time considered, minimum 30 hours per week)
* Autonomy to perform the role
* The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Scheme
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It's a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Critical Communications Business Unit is over 200 personnel strong with in excess of 70% skilled Engineering staff. We have an ever increasing portfolio of opportunities and an ambition for success and to grow. We also embrace the multitude of internal employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within our Babcock team, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties, please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.
Babcock International Group
For more than a century, Babcock has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within four market sectors; Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear. We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Closing date: 27th January 2022