Senior Mechanical Commissioning Engineer
Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL14SG
Business Unit: Submarines
About the role
A Mechanical Senior Commissioning Engineer is required within the TSSBN Commissioning Group (STO). The Commissioning Group supports Vanguard class platforms undergoing deep maintenance periods at Devonport and during fleet time periods primarily at HMNB Clyde.
The Senior Commissioning Engineer reports to the Principal Commissioning Engineer, and is responsible for line management and administrative functions of a team of Commissioning Engineers. Technical direction of activities on submarine systems and equipment to meet the commissioning plan, ensuring that all activities conform to Professional Engineering Standards, Quality and Safety constraints.
Required training will be provided to complete nuclear foundation course and various other submarine specific technical courses.
Although this is working within the defence industry we welcome applications from all mechanical commissioning backgrounds with relevant experience in pressurised mechanical, hydraulic or pneumatic systems.
You will also have the freedom and ability to drive improvements in how we manage one of the most complex assets in operation today.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for engineers with excellent planning, organisation, management and communication skills. Submarines are arguably the most complex assets in operation today and require a range of experience and engineering disciplines to maintain. You'll become a member of a highly focused delivery team and therefore must be able to demonstrate good team working skills and abilities.
What will you be doing?
- Maintain a close working relationship with Project/Production, Ship Staff and colleagues within the Commissioning Group to ensure that any potential conflicts in testing or safety implications to the submarine can be readily identified and resolved.
- You'll monitor progress of production work, system testing and defect rectification in relation to the commissioning plan to ensure early corrective action.
- During periods of shift-working ensure a comprehensive handover is carried out across the shifts to reflect accurately the state of progress and any safety interfaces.
The experience you'll bring
You will need:
- To be able to demonstrate suitable experience in Mechanical commissioning.
- An understanding of pneumatic or hydraulic systems.
- Good communication skills, as you will be liaising with external stakeholders.
- A proactive approach to work, as you will be submitting recommendations and improvements to the MoD.
What a role with Babcock offers?
- Enhanced employment terms and conditions
- Money purchase pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Share ownership scheme
- Occupational health services
- Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
- Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
- Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.