Job Title: Assistant Head of Design
Location: Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL1 4SG
Role Type: Permanent, full time
Job ID: SF39188
HMNB Devonport is one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We're a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
A significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site to meet the needs of the future MOD ship and submarine programmes. A new 'Major Infrastructure Projects' (MIP) Business Unit has been established to focus on the significant facility developments. These include the design and build of major new nuclear docking/berthing facilities for Astute Class nuclear submarine deep maintenance periods.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for an Assistant Head of Design to play a key role in shaping the design of our major new nuclear and non-nuclear infrastructure upgrades. As Assistant Head of Design you will be a key part of the engineering core team, leading and shaping the engineering designs across multiple infrastructure projects on behalf of the Head of Design.
What will you be doing?
Using your substantial experience of design development and management (and ideally safety) in high hazard/consequence, complex industries, as relevant to major infrastructure projects your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the implementation and assurance of design development and management by setting consistent and standards/expectations and measuring compliance.
- Leading the management of requirements centrally and guiding/overseeing delivery projects in their management and decomposition of engineering/system requirements.
- Centrally leading and coordinating engineering interface/integration management across all projects and with the wider site.
- Central advice/oversight of delivery project technical risks and assumptions.
- Coordinating the advice/guidance/oversight of central Subject Matter Experts (e.g. HS&E, Security etc.) in relation to design management activities, technical governance and project delivery.
- Supporting design process/arrangements/guidance improvements/developments based on Learning from Experience (LfE).
- Lead and contribute to the site (including MIP) development and implementation of systems engineering across infrastructure/facilities projects.
The experience you will bring
You will be educated to Degree level in a STEM discipline, but HNC+ with relevant experience will be considered, and preferably registered as a Chartered Engineer (or the ability to achieve professional status).
We would also like you to have the following experience:
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of multi-disciplinary engineering/ (ideally) infrastructure design development and management in high hazard/consequence industries;
- Significant experience in managing engineering requirements, interfaces/integration and technical risks/assumptions across complex programmes and sites.
- Systems engineering knowledge and experience in practice;
In addition, you must have the ability to gain Security Clearance and NNPPI.
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
- 36 hour working week with flexible working around core hours
- 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
- Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
- Employee Share plan
- Autonomy - trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our website to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.