Design Manager (Mechanical / Electrical)
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Salary: £51,500 - £63,000
Full Time, Permanent
Exciting role on offer for a seasoned design manager where you can oversee the Mechanical / Electrical design of new facilities within the dockyard.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for someone with a mechanical and / or electrical design management background that has the capability to manage multiple projects.
You will need to have good stakeholder management skills and be able to liaise with external suppliers.
Having the knowledge to be able to interface with multi-discipline teams is also a sought after skill set.
What will you be doing?
- Functionally leading and managing multiple technical design packages and associated teams, agreeing project related objectives and acting as Intelligent Customer.
- Interfacing with the Primary Facility design teams to provide Secondary Facilities services, systems and infrastructure supporting their facilities from the site wide systems.
- Supporting development of the published User Requirements by translating them into candidate System Requirements for the Start Up phase (and beyond) of the project. This will inform the manageable work packages for outsourced design teams.
- Planning for effective project implementation and ensuring that design documentation covers the required scope of operations and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
The Experience you'll bring
You will have a solid design management background, ideally with a mechanical and / or electrical knowledge base. You will also need to have a solid knowledge of infrastructure projects.
You will need to hold a minimum of HND or Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
Holding chartered status or working towards is desirable.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.