Job Title: Senior Engineer Safety and Environmental x2
Please note this role can be based either at Devonport, Plymouth, Bristol, Leicester or Barrow
Compensation: £ 45,089.00 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Job ID: SF42547
Have you ever wondered what it takes to support our nuclear deterrent? Babcock Naval Nuclear plays a key role in the support of Royal Navy nuclear submarines throughout their life-cycle and in ensuring that submarines are ready to conduct operations at sea. We are charged with ensuring that the submarines, and the support arrangements that we and others provide, enable safe delivery of the UK's Continuous at Sea Deterrent patrols at an acceptable cost to the nation.
Who we are looking for?
As a Senior Safety Engineer you'll be responsible for providing specialist knowledge and support relating to submarine safety and compliance with regulations. You'll provide leadership and direction on safety projects in line with strategy; ensure compliance with statutory legislation and provide technical advice on Safety Assessment processes and policy.
What will you be doing?
As a Senior Safety Engineer, you'll be given the autonomy and support to drive our innovation forward. You will need to have experience in a safety case related role and have the gravitas to work within a multi-disciplinary team. We would also like you to have all or some experience with the below duties;
* Develop hazard management strategies and author safety assessments (including Hazard Management Strategy, Safety Reports and equivalents);
* Producing, and checking calculations, analyses, design basis documentation and technical reports;
* Providing formal responses to comments raised at the various approval stages;
* Participating in HAZID / HAZOP studies;
* Managing delivery against cost and programme, and the management of project risks for the work undertaken within their agreed remit;
* To maintain an overview of technical and safety case strategies being delivered, and the key arguments used, to share 'best practice' between projects;
* To serve as a Company technical representative in external settings, where required;
Where required, providing the safety input to design projects and bidding.
The experience you'll bring
* Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline and have either; achieved CEng status with the Engineering Council, or IEng accredited and actively progressing application towards Chartership.
* Have a fundamental understanding of Safety Management principals across the maritime domain including legislative requirements, Hazard Identification and Analysis (HIA) techniques, safety assurance throughout product lifecycle, safety case management and engineering assurance.
* Be familiar with the submarine support community and Duty Holder construct, and will have an understanding of submarine systems and engineering principles or a demonstrable background of operating experience.
* Completed relevant industry recognised safety and/or environmental management training (i.e. Safety and Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or equivalent).
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Closing date: 06/05/2022