Job Title: Submarine Structural Engineer
Location: Keynsham, Bristol, GB, BS31 2AT
The primary office is based in Keynsham, which is situated between Bristol (5 miles) and Bath (7 miles). Agile working means that a significant proportion of the work will be conducted from home.
Compensation: £ 37,908.00 + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Job ID: SF41080
Are you looking for a challenging yet rewarding role in an ambitious team of high performing engineers? If so…we are growing and looking for exciting new talent to join us on our journey. Babcock Submarine Support Engineering's (SSE) mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. Within Babcock SSE, the Constructive Group support the Royal Navy Submarine Fleet through the Structures, Naval Architecture, Seamanship and Outfitting and Design Change disciplines.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated people with a desire to be at the forefront of engineering excellence, to join a growing team of structural engineers within the Constructive Group. Experience of marine structures and submarines is not a requirement, as the right candidate will be given the support and means to learn within a fast paced and challenging engineering environment. This role will suit candidates with a background in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths; looking for a change in direction and a strong desire to develop themselves, as well as people with existing experience within the defence engineering sector. This role is highly rewarding with visible contributions to the defence capability of the UK, helping to keep the Royal Navy at sea and fighting fit.
What will you be doing?
* Structural assessment using hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis
* Design and assessment for explosive shock survivability
* Platform surveys and validation exercises
* Generation of capability upgrades
* Technical investigations and feasibility studies
* Trials and testing
The experience you'll bring
* Experience in structural analysis and design; knowledge of submarines is desired but not necessary. Support and training will be provided for the successful candidate to apply and develop their knowledge of structures to submarine specific structures.
* Degree qualified in a STEM discipline (or equivalent experience)
* Effective project management, interpersonal and communication skills
* Proven track record of delivery reliability, productivity and quality;
* A continuous improvement mentality.
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for 'Security Check' (SC) or 'Developed Vetting' (DV) security clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Closing date: 11/05/2022