Nuclear Repair Welder
Location: Faslane, Helensburgh, GB, G84 8HL
Compensation: £32,422 + 33% Shift Disturbance Allowance (SDA)
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: 43681
At Babcock, we're creating a safe and secure world, together and you can play your part. Join our newly forming one Babcock shift team that's at the forefront of supporting the Royal Navy at HM Naval Base Clyde. You'll play an integral role ensuring the serviceability of submarines and surface ships through detailed maintenance, repairs and refit periods.
You will be part of a 3-team working pattern, below is an example of the 21-day rota system which repeats itself. Each working shift is 12 hours. Day shifts at 08:00 - 20:15 hours, night shifts are 20:00 - 08:15 hours.
* Day 1(Tue), 2 (Wed) & 3(Thu): 20:00 - 0815
* Day 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 rest days but can volunteer for overtime, subject to working time directive
* Day 11 (Fri), 12 (Sat), 13 (Sun) & 14 (Mon): 20:00 - 0815
* Day 15, 16, 17 & 18 rest days but can volunteer for overtime, subject to working time directive
* Day 19 (Sat) & 20 (Sun): 08:00 - 20:15
* Day 21 rest day
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for qualified Nuclear Repair Welders with a proven track record who will carry out welding activities on all plant system pipework on submarines and shore-based installations.
What will you be doing?
* Completion of all planned preventative maintenance (PPM) and nuclear implicated work to ensure the department meets the objectives of the business.
* Identification/rectification of all defects and alterations to ensure the continued availability and performance of HMNB Clyde Submarines, Surface Ships and the Infrastructure Estate.
* Ensure that work is carried out in line with current legislation and site processes and make suggestions on improving systems and processes to increase productivity in accordance with set objectives and timescales.
* Work within all H&S legislation, Safe Systems Of Work and control of work processes within BM&T Clyde policies.
The experience you'll bring
* Previous welding experience, including significant experience of pipe welding and be comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces.
* Hold a recognised fabrication/welding Apprenticeship to N/SVQ Level 3 or HNC and above in a fabrication/welding discipline with industry experience.
* Experience of Maintenance Procedures, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH assessments and Safe Systems of Work with excellent team working and interpersonal skills
* Candidates must demonstrate that they meet and uphold our Purpose and Principles.
* You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
Would also like you to have experience in all or some of these areas:
* Experience of MMA process and proficient at TIG welding on small-bore pipework encompassing Carbon Steels, Stainless Steels and Copper Nickels, previous experience of working with maintenance technical instructions, welding procedures and acceptance standards.
* Experience of FCAW and Mechanised welding would be advantageous.
* CSWIP 3.0 and PCN LPI lev 2 qualified is desirable but not compulsory.
What a role with Babcock offers?
Generous benefits including:
* Shift pattern supporting a 7-day working week and a shift disturbance allowance above the salary stated
* Generous holiday entitlement, 227 hours holiday entitlement increasing to 263 after 5 years of service (includes public and privileged holidays).
* Matched contribution pension scheme with life assurance
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts, and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Employee Assistance programme
* Training and development opportunities
* Autonomy. Feel trusted to deliver
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
HM Naval Base Clyde is located 6 miles north of Helensburgh in the West of Scotland. We are well placed for commuter links to Glasgow and the wider region, but it is recommended for employees to travel by car due to the location.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.