Job Title: Naval Architect
Location: Keynsham, Bristol, GB, BS31 2AT
Compensation: £ 37,908.00 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Job ID: SF43101
Are you looking for a challenging yet rewarding role in an ambitious team of high performing engineers? If so…we are growing and looking for exciting new talent to join us on our journey.
Babcock Submarine Support Engineering's (SSE) mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. Within Babcock SSE, the Constructive Group support the Royal Navy Submarine Fleet through the Structures, Naval Architecture, Seamanship and Outfitting and Design Change disciplines.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated people, with a desire to be at the forefront of engineering excellence, to join our growing team of Naval Architects.
The Naval Architecture technical function is currently experiencing considerable growth as part of the Future Maritime Support Programme (FMSP) contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD). Therefore this is an exciting opportunity to become a part of a technically capable and highly motivated team as we continue to grow and deliver complex outputs to support UK submarine availability.
This role will suit candidates with a background in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math's; looking for a change in direction and a strong desire to develop themselves, as well as people with existing experience within the UK Marine Defence sector.
This role is highly rewarding with visible contributions to the defence capability of the UK, helping to keep the Royal Navy at sea and fighting fit.
What will you be doing?
This role will allow the successful candidate to work on a wide range of projects on complex assets, which may include:
* Monitoring & managing the impact of through-life growth of UK submarines
* Completing intact & damaged stability analysis using empirical methods & industry recognised software
* Creating bespoke operator procedures, processes or guidance relating to submarine stability and manoeuvring & control
* Providing submarine docking & un-docking support and independent assurance to the waterfront
* Providing support & technical advice to better inform future UK submarine projects
The experience you'll bring
The successful candidate will ideally have experience in submarine stability and manoeuvring & control; however training & guidance will be provided as necessary to enable the development of knowledge and experience within submarine Naval Architecture.
The following attributes are considered essential for this role:
* BSc, BEng, MEng or equivalent experience in Naval Architecture / Marine Technology / Ship Science
* Awareness to practitioner level knowledge of ships stability and manoeuvring & control principles, standards and codes
* Experience using industry recognised stability analysis software (i.e. Paramarine, Maxsurf, NAPA, Aveva)
* An analytical & proactive approach to problem solving
The following attributes are desirable but are not necessary for the right candidate who can demonstrate a willingness to learn:
* Familiarity and/or experience of working within the UK Marine Defence sector, ideally submarines
* Effective project management, communication & organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment
* An ability to positively influence & work collaboratively with all levels of an organisation ensuring delivery reliability, productivity & quality
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for 'Security Check' (SC) or 'Developed Vetting' (DV) security clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Closing date: 10/05/2022